vzdump unexpected status

but none of these bugs is more then 4 years old? and if they were so serious, wouldn't here have been more complaints ?

please be fair. proxmox team is putting their energy on the important/critical bugs. they do a good job imho.

i'm also impatient sometimes when bugs not getting fixed or rfe's getting implemented.

but i have rarely seen a product where have see my feature request getting implemented or bugreports being welcomed.

i just opened a bug at synology for example. their answer was a joke. and nobody will ever know that their hyperbackup data verify/check is silently ignored and only metadata being checked for several types of backup targets...

Last edited:
but none of these bugs is more then 4 years old? and if they were so serious, wouldn't here have been more complaints ?

please be fair. proxmox team is putting their energy on the important/critical bugs. they do a good job imho.

i'm also impatient sometimes when bugs not getting fixed or rfe's getting implemented.

but i have rarely seen a product where have see my feature request getting implemented or bugreports being welcomed.

i just opened a bug at synology for example. their answer was a joke. and nobody will ever know that their hyperbackup data verify/check is silently ignored and only metadata being checked for several types of backup targets...

Roland, would you like me to provide more specific (factual) information to substantiate my claim, or rather let it be? Because either way, for me, it won't change anything, it does not seem it would improve quality of the product and some more feelings would have gotten hurt. I do not usually go around making false claims, as a result, when asked to provide a patch myself, which I did and when also asked to provide a POC that what I claimed was to be trivial, is trivial, I got no more responses, i.e. a 5 line ready-to-go patch is not being committed into the codebase because someone has other priorities than git commit? Hardly.

mhh, that's opensource and if your work doesn't get honoured, you can at least provide/maintain that patch "out of tree" for a while and be persistent pointing at it. if there are enough people who find it useful things will happen, if the patch is ready for inclusion. proxmox devs will have their reason why they did not merge. i would not take that too personal.

you know there where linux devs they did not get their lifetime work getting merged upstream? remember reiser4 for example.

mhh, that's opensource and if your work doesn't get honoured, you can at least provide/maintain that patch "out of tree" for a while and be persistent pointing at it.

It's alive and well in Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4886#c25

I do not expect anything in terms of a thankyou even, but then do not solicit e.g. my contribution when not even bothered to take it in:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4252#c29

if there are enough people who find it useful things will happen, if the patch is ready for inclusion. proxmox devs will have their reason why they did not merge. i would not take that too personal.

Reason not communicated, despite there was enough commitment to communicate back with me originally on why it cannot be done (by PVE team) initially (all in 4252). There is enough people, they are blamed themselves (for the bug of PVE team) continuosly even month after the patch available:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/v...1-1-november-23-iso.137502/page-2#post-616090

There were many before, staff is persistent in their trained position (this was an ad hoc summary to show how pervasive it was over time):
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4252#c21

I do not take it personally, someone else probably did:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/ssh-keys-across-nodes.136437/#post-605931

you know there where linux devs they did not get their lifetime work getting merged upstream? remember reiser4 for example.

This is not my contribution, as in I am trying to include some i-believe-this-rocks feature. This is their bug that they failed to recognise, then kept rolling for 10+ years (I can look this up if you want, I had checked this based on Git commits, it is original code, no test cases, no nothing, staff active on forum to do everything but get it fixed), then me embarrassingly finding the wrong use of Perl hash key. There's so many things wrong with this on so many levels. Oh, btw original code by @dietmar, whom I had emailed about the patch, ignored too.

So what do I do? Definitely not any more patches.

NB I do not consider the patch any good, it was literally the safest edit possible to make it not horribly buggy. The solution is:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5053

Note the bizarre situation when this was prepared already 7 years ago, then let alone, now in 2023 it can be accomplished with shell command on =2 lines + 2 lines per node, absolutely not disruptive.

Just today, another absurdity, completely unrelated:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/n...m-host-is-pve-8-0-4.132620/page-2#post-617058

Bothering to reply me rather than including a sentence into the docs (about which even the Reditters quoted by her complained 2 years ago).

I have been on this forum 2 months, I had tested PVE throughout, I cannot use it for anything (this is not bash, I just cannot afford to take the risks, others may find it acceptable). I will be moving on, this is not the sort of OS community I can be thankful for, it's good forum on the surface, but more is spent on making it look good than making it good. Your persistence (and others') who come post "this is still a problem in v 8.1" is commendable, I lost patience (in 2 months).

PS As people are convinced on forums they are making some mistakes, they do not end up going to +1 themselves on the Bugzilla, that's why it's so lonely there.

EDIT: Changed Dietmar to his handle, if he wants to react (on the patch not taken in, SSH certs not implemented). Come to think of it, I name dropped everyone about this except for @martin on this issue (I did not know who is who a month ago even). Now that I have mentioned everyone, I can conclude the rant for good.

EDIT2: Last Thursday again, person with replication issues related to the bugs that could have been long fixed: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/s...erification-failed-errors.138102/#post-615902

Last edited:
i'd be happy if things would calm down a little bit and if everybody continues try to help things getting fixed without being reproachfull.

i have seen the discussion about ssh keys in bugzilla, but i have to admit, that it got a little bit too lengthy and obstinate for me. because of that i didn't follow further

please let us be tolerant and patient.

if you feel better with a different community, please move on.

but to be honest - what IS a better community around kvm/qemu based hypervisor?

i did not yet come across any.

i'm happy here, because proxmox community is a real nice place with real nice people. and i have to admit, that i (myself) can get impatient and rude sometimes, too. but i have always being treated respectfully and there was always room for for excuse. i have seen very different culture in other opensource projects. with much egoism and arrogance. so please don't be offensive to this project.

Reactions: esi_y
Haha :) I am still here, I just replied him directly on some parts when it comes to discussing anything that would come across as advertising 3rd party solutions which I am not going to do on Proxmox forum as it's not my objective. (I wished the product got improved, not propagate others.)

EDIT: It's a bit weird no one from staff had anything to say to the @ mentions, isn't it? But I leave it there as promised.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!