vzdump unexpected status

uka

Apr 29, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Hi all,
I tried a vzdump backup into an nfs share. The job froze somehow (no space problem) and I canceled. The status of the VM stayed "VM is locked (backup)". How can this be resolved? Do I need to reboot the VM to clean this up?
Best regards from Hamburg

Code:
proxmox-ve: 6.4-1 (running kernel: 5.4.203-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.4-15 (running version: 6.4-15/af7986e6)
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-20
pve-kernel-helper: 6.4-20
pve-kernel-5.4.203-1-pve: 5.4.203-1
pve-kernel-5.4.195-1-pve: 5.4.195-1
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.4-19
pve-kernel-4.15.18-30-pve: 4.15.18-58
pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve: 4.15.18-36
ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1
corosync: 3.1.5-pve2~bpo10+1
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ifupdown: 0.8.35+pve1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.22-pve2~bpo10+1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.1.0
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.1.0-1
libpve-access-control: 6.4-3
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.1-3
libpve-common-perl: 6.4-5
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.1-5
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.2-5
libpve-storage-perl: 6.4-1
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.2-4~pve6+1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve4
lxc-pve: 4.0.6-2
lxcfs: 4.0.6-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.1.0-1
proxmox-backup-client: 1.1.14-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.6-2
pve-cluster: 6.4-1
pve-container: 3.3-6
pve-docs: 6.4-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20200531-1
pve-firewall: 4.1-4
pve-firmware: 3.3-2
pve-ha-manager: 3.1-1
pve-i18n: 2.3-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 5.2.0-8
pve-xtermjs: 4.7.0-3
qemu-server: 6.4-2
smartmontools: 7.2-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-2
zfsutils-linux: 2.0.7-pve1

the part I don't understand is, how on these forums there's staff genuinely attempting to help people with bugs that had been known since ... 3 years in this case ... without simply reverting it's a known bug and follow up in bugzilla
Maybe you need to find another tool. Your complaining isn't helping and frankly is tiresome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neobin
the part I don't understand is, how on these forums there's staff genuinely attempting to help people with bugs that had been known since ... 3 years in this case ... without simply reverting it's a known bug and follow up in bugzilla

nobody is perfect. i just had been come across this bug and retested with recent proxmox and then searched the forum if there is anybody hit by that. as it's more likely that somebody with this problem will search the forum then the bugzilla.

i just want to make things transparent. this issue isn't easy to solve, though

Last edited:
Maybe you need to find another tool. Your complaining isn't helping.
Interesting point of view, I would have thought it would taken as valuable input in-house and re-train e.g. staff. If that's not happening, then indeed it is not helping, but it's not inadmissible either.

@RolandK I had this same happen again just yesterday with another staff member, this was a situation where the thread stated, some troublehooting went on, I chipped in with reference to a known bug, the thread continued like my input was not there and conclusion was to follow the docs (which lead to the bug). I would have taken in personally if I had not noticed the number of bugs that had been filed by you over time on BZ, the vocabulary in those replies about "edge cases" and "niche scenarios" is ... oh never mind, I would be complaining, which isn't helping.

i just want to make things transparent. this issue isn't easy to solve, though
Same with me, originally I now realised your name is familiar (from 4252), I had searched all instances of the same in the past year on the forum to post links into it, week afterwards, new people asking about the same, new replies from staff, same old tune. I find it a genuine problem - yes, bugs are in all software, yes some take long to fix, but being transparent about it seems to be a problem here.

The question was already answered. Needling staff is not adding anything to the conversation and is not valuable in any way.

Well, let me be more specific in my suggestion on handling bugs - if one is confirmed and not fixable, it should become also a sidenote in any related docs. The staff mostly go by the docs, people who come here asking often overlook those. I would wonder if it's not worth e.g. dedicate some staff time to edit the docs, so that less time can be spent hunting ghosts. Is this the staff's fault? It is not.

Another note on this, for long-lasting bugs, having a list of them in Release Notes would also have avoided lots of useless inquiries. There are release notes, but they focus on new features. Known Issues are limited to what was freshly found in the newly baked release. Is this the staff's fault? It is not.

EDIT: Regarding "the question was already answered" - I do not see how it was answered back in April.

Last edited:
>@RolandK I had this same happen again just yesterday with another staff member

so what? you should really be thankful that there is so good support with so much transparency and such a good community and knowledgeable people. and that there are developer which directly listen to what customers have to say. and which are participating in support. it's outstanding good support here !

i recommend buying some enterprise product and have support call with hotline staff in india.....i bet you will be happy to come back here....

If there are important bugs in proxmox, be sure they will get mention.

>@RolandK I had this same happen again just yesterday with another staff member

so what? you should really be thankful that there is so good support with so much transparency and such a good community and knowledgeable people. and that there are developer which directly listen to what customers have to say. and which are participating in support. it's outstanding good support here !

I would have been more thankful if they did commit 5 lines of code to fix a 10 year old bug instead of going around forums telling people all is good with the code and follow the docs (which do not mention the bugs). I cannot imagine recommending this product to any enterprise as a result. But it's interesting someone is happy with the current state and would pay for support on a Swiss cheese product. Now I realised that sounds sarcastic, but I really mean it. There's so much effort spent on the forum that could have been spent on the product itself (providing the support to paid-only customers). I feel like it's more of a PR stunt than aspiring competitor to X, Y, Z (I will not name them, we all know them). The forum is alive and well, the product seems to get frequent releases adding features but piling up bugs. So, mixed feelings, really. For hobbyist use, sure, for anything more, not in this state of code quality, sorry.

i recommend buying some enterprise product and have support call with hotline staff in india.....i bet you will be happy to come back here....

But I'd rather get a trained staff response from India that follows A,B,C and offloads with their 1st level support the people further up the levels that actually have the time to fix the bugs then. Sure you may have bad luck with useless 1st level support, but this way developers are replying questions which are indeed 1st level and they do not have time to fix apparent long-standing bugs. And nope, I am not in India.

If there are important bugs in proxmox, be sure they will get mention.

Nothing is being done about them, but yes, at least it can be found on a forum.

Last edited:
I would have been more thankful if they did commit 5 lines of code to fix a 10 year old bug instead of going around forums telling people all is good with the code and follow the docs (which do not mention the bugs).
Thank you for telling the developers how to do their jobs. That is what I take issue with in your comments. You don't _just_ refer people to the bug report, you also have to take digs at the people who give you this product for free. THAT is what is not helpful.

If you don't find that Proxmox meets your standards for support you are free to use something that does.

Reactions: Neobin
Thank you for telling the developers how to do their jobs. That is what I take issue with in your comments. You don't _just_ refer people to the bug report, you also have to take digs at the people who give you this product for free. THAT is what is not helpful.

If you don't find that Proxmox meets your standards for support you are free to use something that does.
If you find a bug on day 1 of testing the product, then you properly take it over to Bugzilla so as not to make noise here, then you get told there that you do not understand the topic instead of factual feedback and that you are welcome to provide patch yourself if you find it so simple, then you go on and provide that patch, you also go on and post a short tutorial on how to bypass the bug, which could have been safely made part of PVE from day one and then you later discover this was a bug since day 1 of PVE's existence and most importantly you go on and reference it in all the forum posts over the past year so that everyone could have been made aware of that ... only to see the next day someone from staff (I am not naming them, it's not important, but how could this be happening considering the chain of events decribed) advise some unsuspecting newbie to do the very thing that bring the bug effects onto them ... then I think I am entitled to have my opinion on the whole thing.

I have literally tried everything that could have been helpful. By now I started noticing patterns in many (not mine alone) bugreports where everything is someone else's fault, it's upstream, it's experimental, have to wait for external X,Y,Z - really? I would rather take it if someone told me they do not care for the bug or are understaffed or someone is working on it but it may take months till next release. Like this? You fix their bug and they do not even bother to check it into the codebase for everyone else to benefit. How much worse can it get?

Yes I am free to use other things, I am also free to make this comment on this forum, it's not attacking anyone in any demeaning way, do I have to be pleasant instead given all of the above?

Yes, you do.
I would like to pleasantly tell everyone who finds this thread that it is related to bug 2723, I would also like to sum up for their perusal that it is unlikely to get fixed, which is an informed guess based on the Bugzilla dynamism of other non-critical bugs, like those that concern such unimportant things such as backups, therefore they are on their own. They should also take pieces of advice in relation to this, including that of staff, with a pinch of salt, as they might be completely ill-informed. Nevertheless it will be good if they keep reporting every year, like Roland, that the bug still exists, for which they should be all thankful - the opportunity to report it - especially if they happen to get a reply from all the developers who are so busy giving them their attention that they, well, did not have any time left to fix the bugs. This is something they should be contempt with and happy. No other product brings me such inner zen than Proxmox VE and I wish everyone the same great harmonious experience.

PS: If you happen to fix a bug yourself, after all it's open-source and welcome, do not forget the most important thing - the Contributor License Agreement.

PS2: I also wish to tell everyone that the Forum decided to award me a trophy for this message as it was the 100th - the prize is called "Can't stop". :)

Last edited:
> I would have been more thankful if they did commit 5 lines of code to fix a 10 year old bug instead of
> going around forums telling people all is good with the code

what bug are we talking about here @tempacc346235 ?

> I would have been more thankful if they did commit 5 lines of code to fix a 10 year old bug instead of
> going around forums telling people all is good with the code

what bug are we talking about here @tempacc346235 ?

The example was 4886, there are others with similarly trivial fixes from what I have seen, I just took the example because if there's no time to even commit a patch already available, then what does one expect from all the others that have yet to be fixed? 4252 comes to mind (yours), 5120 would be such a candidate, but so is 2739 or 2350 (completely unrelated, "low hanging fruits").

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!