vzdump only disk-1 ?

tirili

Sep 19, 2018
How can I use vzdump for a specific VM, only to backup scsi0 (and not scsi1), or more common, how can I include/exclude specific disks from backup?

Best regards and thanks for your help in advance!

You can exclude disks from backup under the advances settings. Go to hardware, double click on the disk and enable the checkbox near the save button, then enable the checkbox "no backup" and save.

I tried this, but this did not work. Any hints / help are still appreciated:

pvesh set /nodes/$(hostname -s)/qemu/1111/config -scsi1 "localdata:vm-1111-disk-1,backup=0,size=100G"

I get

Unknown option: scsi1
400 unable to parse option
pvesh set <api_path> [OPTIONS] [FORMAT_OPTIONS]

pvesh set /nodes/$(hostname -s)/qemu/1111/config -scsi1 "localdata:vm-1111-disk-1,backup=0,size=100G"

I can verify this command works with the latest version. What version do you have? Please post the output of 'pveversion -v'

It should be easier to do this over the GUI though.

Dear all,

I have a deployment with a VM running with Windows 2019 running our database. The VM includes 3 virtio harddrives. One for the OS (160GB), one for crucial data(290GB) an one for less important data(2TB). There is an everyday backup to the onsite PBS. I have a second PBS in a branch office and would like to backup the two hard drives (OS + crucial data) to the second pbs only. The way I do it now:
Uncheck the Backup box on the 2TB drive, run the offsite backup and check the box again.

Is there an option for command line vzdupm to backup only the 2 drives (I don't really want to change the config file everytime)

Thanx a lot

Greetings

NoClue

You could also do the backup using the proxmox-backup-client via CLI and use arguments to only include specific disks. That could then be automated using cron or systemd.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!