vTPM support - do we have guide to add the vTPM support?

the latest 0.1.208, i attach the CD to a second drive, run the windows setup, browse drivers, select the scsi one, format blank 64gb drive, then setup does it thing, then half way through, just crashes, and the VM has powered off? very weird
I always install Windows using SATA, then install the VirtIO drivers inside a stable Win installation. Reboot, add an additional dummy drive as VirtIO SCSI to test. If the new drive shows up and formats fine, power down, delete the new dummy drive, and change your OS drive from SATA to VirtIO SCSI. Power On.

Reactions: jemerson.jsilva
Hello guys,

I'm struggling with this one here. I've updated my installation to 7.0-13 through the Updates pane, however the TPM option does not show even when trying to create a new machine:

1633666416703.png

If i try to install the 3 main packages mentioned over the posts here, it shows I'm already on latest versions:

1633666554818.png

What am I missing?

What am I missing?

Just to be sure: Did you try to force reloaded the page so that the browser caches are cleaned to avoid getting stale stuff from there?

Iow., using something like the CTRL + F5 or CTRL + SHIFT + R key combinations on the PVE web interface?

Guys, it is not possible to create snapshot in VM with TPM 2.0 (raw disk)?
If the storage supports it (e.g., ZFS, Ceph, LVM) then yes, else no. We see if we can still improve situation for the future though.

Last edited:
Reactions: jemerson.jsilva
I always install Windows using SATA, then install the VirtIO drivers inside a stable Win installation. Reboot, add an additional dummy drive as VirtIO SCSI to test. If the new drive shows up and formats fine, power down, delete the new dummy drive, and change your OS drive from SATA to VirtIO SCSI. Power On.
even doing it this way doesnt work, the min you change the main boot drive to SCSI the VM powers on but then powers off?

Just to be sure: Did you try to force reloaded the page so that the browser caches are cleaned to avoid getting stale stuff from there?

Iow., using something like the CTRL + F5 or CTRL + SHIFT + R key combinations on the PVE web interface?

That was it... after clearing Chrome cache it started to show up. So silly of me not thinking on that :p

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
not sure if its an issue with TPM or maybe my config, but i cant take snapshots of my Win11 VM?
the VM is stored on an NFS share as QCOW2, but it seems the TPM is storing as RAW?
and the snapshots panel shows The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshots
Code:
root@pve2:~# qm config 105
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;ide0;net0
cores: 4
cpu: host
efidisk0: VMStore:105/vm-105-disk-1.qcow2,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=528K
ide0: none,media=cdrom
machine: pc-q35-6.0
memory: 8192
name: Win11NFS
net0: virtio=D2:CA:86:6C:E6:4C,bridge=vmbr168
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsi0: VMStore:105/vm-105-disk-0.qcow2,cache=writeback,discard=on,size=64G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=2de8ef63-f154-44ea-a052-c4d650e3cf16
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: VMStore:105/vm-105-disk-0.raw,size=4M,version=v2.0
vga: virtio
vmgenid: fcf7df06-c370-4c55-815b-d1b170060293

Last edited:
not sure if its an issue with TPM or maybe my config, but i cant take snapshots of my Win11 VM?
the VM is stored on an NFS share as QCOW2, but it seems the TPM is storing as RAW?
see:
If the storage supports it (e.g., ZFS, Ceph, LVM) then yes, else no. We see if we can still improve situation for the future though.

managed to get a work around for others if interested in taking snapshots
  1. qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 vm-105-disk-0.raw vm-105-disk-2.qcow2 (i had to use disk-2 as disk-0.qcow2 was my main hdd image)
  2. change the tpmstate0 line in the VM config tpmstate0: VMStore:105/vm-105-disk-2.qcow2,size=4M,version=v2.0
start VM, then go to snapshots and click snapshot :)
no issues so far,
so maybe in the setup wizard and windows, allow us to specify if we want qcow2 or raw depending on storage, like you do now the hdd options

EDIT: spoke too soon, issue with capturing the snapshot, but running the VM now has no issues at all
EDIT: converting the image is fine, but when you start the VM, qemu-server converts the qcow2 back to raw but with the extension of qcow2 which causes the snapshots to get confused and failed

Last edited:
Making use of ceph -- snapshots are fine on shutdown VMs; live though:
Code:
snapshotting 'drive-scsi0' (main-stor:vm-126-disk-1)
snapshotting 'drive-efidisk0' (main-stor:vm-126-disk-0)
snapshotting 'drive-tpmstate0' (main-stor:vm-126-disk-2)
snapshot create failed: starting cleanup
TASK ERROR: VM 126 qmp command 'blockdev-snapshot-internal-sync' failed - Cannot find device='drive-tpmstate0' nor node-name='drive-tpmstate0'

Configuration:
Code:
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;ide0;ide2;net0
cores: 4
cpu: kvm64,flags=+md-clear;+pcid;+spec-ctrl;+ssbd;+pdpe1gb;+hv-tlbflush;+hv-evmcs;+aes
efidisk0: main-stor:vm-126-disk-1,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=1M
ide0: none,media=cdrom
ide2: none,media=cdrom
machine: pc-q35-6.0
memory: 8192
name: uisoobe-vm
net0: virtio=AE:9B:38:03:9F:E4,bridge=vmbr0,tag=100
numa: 0
ostype: win10
rng0: source=/dev/urandom
scsi0: main-stor:vm-126-disk-0,cache=writeback,discard=on,iothread=1,size=64G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=cf7fb051-53ce-4219-98b2-d773f94fdc9c,manufacturer=VUlTbXg=,product=VmlydHVhbCBDb21wdXRlcg==,version=MS4w,serial=OGF3YXFldTY=,base64=1
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: main-stor:vm-126-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
vga: virtio
vmgenid: 0f485298-361a-4cb3-86a7-1c18652e02e2
#qmdump#map:efidisk0:drive-efidisk0:main-stor::
#qmdump#map:scsi0:drive-scsi0:main-stor::
#qmdump#map:tpmstate0:drive-tpmstate0-backup:main-stor::

Last edited:
Reactions: avluis86
Is there any timetable when TPM support will hit the Enterprise repositories?
Nothing specific, I'd figure it's still this month if nothing big comes up, a few small (UX) wrinkles need to be still ironed out.

Reactions: ITT
Does subscribing give you access for repositories that allow TPM in 6.4?
I have found a case where I need to stay back to run older versions of macOS

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!