VM's on proxmox won't shutdown?

how can this be extended to subusers of the VM in the web interface who are given group control over a collection of VMs?

this would be fine if hardware could be removed after it gets stuck in BIOS, but it seems to not be possible, even after CTRL-ALT-DEL (hmm, maybe more hardware can be added while its running though?)

wanted to choose an alternate boot iso but couldnt stop to remove the old iso which didnt work (tho perhaps adding a new one and choosing via F12 would work.)

Have you tried using the stop button in the web gui? Some times you have let the first request timeout and then try again a second time.

I too have seen this issue. But most of them with Windows. Never had the issue with Windows 2008/2012. But..... the issue is not consistent. With Windows 7 the shutdown does not occur if the Windows 7 VM had been running for quite long time without any restart. Even if i shutdown manually from console, it takes long time to shutdown, occationally just freezes. Same Windows 7 VM if i initiate shut down from Proxmox GUI shutdown button after running just for half an hour or so, it shuts down just fine. I always thought it is because of whatever was Windows 7 doing causing this time out error and nothing has to do with Proxmox itself. Only two or three times i saw the error with Linux VM. Again, they were somewhat loaded and had been running for over 4 months without any reboot.

yes of course. pressing it a 2nd time gave a log entry for it - curiously the 2nd attempt had the fail msg come up first while the first attempt was still spinning. eventually they both went to 'fail' (though the first one
might have only failed once I killed it from the cmd line actually..)

Basically there's no web-way to kill it, Im guessing.

edit: sorry i was hitting shutdown instead...

Last edited:
Basically there's no web-way to kill it, Im guessing.
Very true. As of Proxmox 3.2 no way to view what processes are running and to kill button like the one in Windows Task manager "End Process".
Hint Hint Proxmox Devs. :) May be a feature request.

The process can be viewed and kill from CLI, it just a convinient to have it on GUI.

only convenient to have on the GUI because some of us want to delegate sub-access to customers to control their own micro-cloud (quote unquote) of images, etc, without giving root away...

aha.

if it hasnt gotten out of boot yet, its not really started, so shutdown doesnt apply.

'stop' does in fact work, when its still in bios, apologies!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!