[SOLVED] VMs not communicating accross nodes on cluster with SDN VXLAN configuration

abenoit-reeliant

Feb 28, 2024
Hello. I'm trying to set up a Proxmox cluster and have VM on multiple nodes communicate with each other but it doesn't seem to work (cannot ping across multiple nodes)

I tried to follow the example https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesdn.html#pvesdn_setup_example_vxlan

Here is the details of the setup.
  • PVE version is pve-manager/8.1.4/ec5affc9e41f1d79 (running kernel: 6.5.11-8-pve)
  • 2 PVE nodes at the moment : 172.16.12.3 and 172.16.12.4
  • PVE nodes are communicating through "Linux VLAN" interfaces (through a network set up by my hosting service provider)
    • Node 1 (172.16.12.3) has VLAN tag 3503
    • Node 2 (172.16.12.4) has VLAN tag 3309
  • The 2 nodes communicate fine for cluster operations (administration for both nodes, migration, ...)
  • SDN is setup this way:
    • 1 VXLAN zone:
      • ID: vxlanpca
      • Peer addresss list: 172.16.12.3,172.16.12.4
      • MTU: empty (auto)
      • IPAM: pve
    • 1 VNet :
      • Name: vxnetpca
      • Zone: vxlanpca
      • Tag: 99
      • VLAN Aware: checked
  • VM 1 on node 1 has IP 192.168.100.4/27 and VM 2 on node 2 has IP 192.168.100.5/27
    • Both have mtu: 1450 in netplan configuration
  • Both use:
    • Bridge: vxnetpca
    • VLAN Tag: empty
    • Firewall: unchecked
    • Model: VirtIO
    • MTU: empty
Both VM fail to ping the other one or view any TCP port as open.
What am I doing wrong?

OK, I was forgetting the firewall aspect. After the adding a rule to accept incoming trafic on the private VLAN interfaces (eno1.3503 and eno1.3309 respectively), ping is OK.

Reactions: cbarney

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!