VM Migration: Unable to set the IP of the target node.

SamFredo

Aug 16, 2023
I've spent so many hours and pulled too many hairs for this already.

TLDR: Migrating a VM fails because ssh of the target node listens on IPv6 only (as desired+configured), and migration is attempting connection to IPv4.

All I want is the connection to go through IPv6, or the VPN IP.

The error given is something like:

ssh: connect to host 13.23.7.13 port 22: Connection refused TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=enaq' root@13.23.7.13 pvecm mtunnel -migration_network 2a01:48:16:402::2/64 -get_migration_ip' failed: exit code 255

In an attempt without a migration network, the attempted command was:

/usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=enaq' root@13.23.7.13 /bin/true

Background:
I have joined node2 to node1 and created a cluster while both could communicate over IPv4 and IPv6.
Later, a policy revision stated that IPv4 will not be used for cluster communication, unless it is the VPN address.
Now both nodes aren't available for ssh over IPv4.

Things I tried:

Now, the nodes both have a VPN IP in the range 10.10.0.0/16, but the IPv6 addresses are "in different networks", so to speak, because they both have a unique /64 subnet. I'm not sure whether this is problematic in any way.

Appendix:

• /etc/pve/corosync.conf with IPv4s removed:
Code:
logging {
  debug: off
  to_syslog: yes
}

nodelist {
  node {
    name: ola
    nodeid: 1
    quorum_votes: 1
    ring0_addr: 2a01:48:16:402::2
  }
  node {
    name: enaq
    nodeid: 2
    quorum_votes: 1
    ring0_addr: 2a01:48:21:2a2::2
  }
}

quorum {
  provider: corosync_votequorum
}

totem {
  cluster_name: Dolphin
  config_version: 2
  interface {
    linknumber: 0
  }
  interface {
    linknumber: 1
  }
  ip_version: ipv6
  link_mode: passive
  secauth: on
  version: 2
}

• /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg:
Code:
console: html5
email_from: proxmox@example.com
keyboard: en-us
max_workers: 6
migration: type=secure
next-id: lower=100,upper=254

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!