VM is locked (rollback) and Could not open '/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-0'

naupe

Apr 8, 2019
I have an Nginx VM that will not start. It was working yesterday. When I try to start it, I receive:

VM is locked (rollback)

When I unlock the VM with qm unlock 100, and try to start it with qm start 100, I receive the following:

Code:
kvm: -drive file=/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-0,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on: Could not open '/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-0': No such file or directory
start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 100 -name Nginx -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -chardev 'socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5' -mon 'chardev=qmp-event,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=d428ca8e-75e8-46e3-ae2e-b750a532dc95' -smp '6,sockets=2,cores=3,maxcpus=6' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/100.vnc,x509,password -cpu kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,enforce -m 6144 -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'vmgenid,guid=a19adad0-ee14-4c3a-aa8b-cf5f913971fd' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'VGA,id=vga,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:74fa627f1f2' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=threads' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -device 'virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5' -drive 'file=/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-0,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap100i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown' -device 'e1000,mac=0E:7E:43:01:2F:7A,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -machine 'type=pc'' failed: exit code 1

I can't rollback the VM either:
Code:
lvremove 'pve/vm-100-disk-0' error:   Failed to find logical volume "pve/vm-100-disk-0"

Any idea what is going on!? This is the first time this has ever happened before.

------------------------------------

EDIT: Upon further review, I've found that there is no vm-100-disk-0 file within /dev/pve. I have no idea how this would have happened, as I am the only one with access to this Server. Is there some way I can create vm-100-disk-0 and then rollback to one of the working Snapshots of this VM? I still have the Snapshots in the VM. Just one idea of mine right now.

Last edited:
I have great news: someone on Reddit helped me resolve the issue!

Ran the following in Proxmox to re-create the Volume Group:
Code:
lvcreate -L11G -n vm-100-disk-0 pve

(Nginx VM is 11G in disk size and pve is the Volume Group)

Nginx now had a Hard Drive, and I was able to restore the Nginx VM to a point where it was working, and now all my sites that Reverse Proxy through Nginx are working!

EDIT: I said before that Certbot in Nginx was throwing some strange errors, but they went away after a few minutes when I renewed the certs. I suspect strongly that it was related to the de-synced time on the Nginx VM (as will happen immediately after a Snapshot Rollback).

I now would like to figure out WHY vm-100-disk-0 was deleted in the first place. Looking through the history on Proxmox, I see nothing that suggests it was a manual deletion, and I see no suspicious logins. I can only assume it was an automatic deletion by Proxmox itself. Is local-lvm set to automatically delete a Disk Drive if it fills up? I will say that my local-lvm is at 95% capacity right now, and I'm doing what I can to lower it while keeping the really important Snapshots, but that would certainly be an odd behavior of local-lvm to delete a whole Virtual Disk, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alwin Antreich

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!