VM gone after joining cluster

Sereno

Aug 10, 2018
Hi,

I created a cluster wit 3 proxmoxs nodes and when I addedd the fourth node, the virtual machines that where on this 4th node are gone. I see that the images of these VM are still located in /mnt (which is a 2TB second hard diss)

Is there any way I could recover these VM?
Can I copy those images to somewhere else, install proxmox from scratch and then restore those images using qmrestore?
Should I joint the cluster before doing anytthing else?

Sereno

I deleted the node that had the virtual machines from the cluster and it seems the 3 nodes cluster is OK.

I Started the corosyng on the 4th node and the pve service and now I can login the web service but still I cant see the machines this node had. Besides, in this node I can still see the others nodes, its like it did not delete the other nodes even after deleting the node from the cluster

Help please

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager

Is clear that a node should be empty before adding It to a cluster.

Copy from the wiki page:

A new node cannot hold any VMs, because you would get conflicts about identical VM IDs. Also, all existing configuration in /etc/pve is overwritten when you join a new node to the cluster. To workaround, use vzdump to backup and restore to a different VMID after adding the node to the cluster."

Thanks for the answer tuonoazzurro!

Yeah but I would like to believe that Im not the first person on making the mistake of adding the node with VM already on it.

how do I use the vzdump to do the backup and restore?

Sereno

How do I use the vzdump to do the backup and restore?
Select the VM -> Backup -> Backup now (wherever storage shared by the single node and the clustered nodes).
Once it's done for all VMs, remove them all, join the node to the cluster. Then select the shared storage from your newly added host's view -> Content -> Select the backup file -> Restore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!