Vm does not boot up after removing single Gpu from cluster

mert98

Apr 9, 2022
Hello;
I am new on proxmox
I have a cluster running with Proxmox version 7.1-7, Cluster has a Nvidia-RTX3060 and Nvidia-RTX3090 GPU. I have Passthrough both GPU without any problems, and have been working with ubuntu vm's using both separate GPU however recently I had to remove RTX3090 gpu from cluster due to a technical issue. After removing GPU, Proxmox boot up without any problem also I can start up my other ubuntu vm's (Running with cpu only). However I cannot boot up my VM running with RTX3060 Gpu. When I remove 3060 GPU from VM's hardware VM boots up without any problem. I don't understand what causes this problem, I thought may be Pci passthrough broken after removing 3090 GPU from cluster but I am not sure.

When a component isn't available the VM won't start. You should by the way always remove all PCI passthroughs before removing or adding a PCI card because and remove autostart from those VMs because otherwise you might passthrough a wrong IOMMU group and crash the whole node or even get into a reboot loop.

hi,

can you post the task log and the output of 'dmesg' when the vm start does not work?
also the vm config would be interesting.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!