VM Connection via WiFi

Iosif Bancioiu

Dec 3, 2018
Hi,

I wanted to turn my computer into a ProxMox machine with multiple VMs.

The problem is that I don't have a wired connection, only WiFi, so I've got an USB Adapter (TP-Lin WN822N v5) and the drivers from a github repo.

By using this driver, I managed to connect to the network, by using wireless-tools package and the /etc/network/interfaces file, from the terminal.

My problem now is that when i create a new VM, on the network tab, i don't see the device - looks like only bridges are allowed.

Here comes the tricky part. Do you know how I should configure the bridge (dhcp)

I created one, but it's always UNKNOWN or DORMANT state

Thanks!

What is the content of your /etc/network/interfaces file?
In Chapter 3.3.4 in our documentation is a simple default network config. https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_network_configuration

You should have on vmbr0 which, in your case, is using the wifi interface as bridge_port. The IP Config should be done in the vmbr0.

Hi, the file is as follows

Code:
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet dhcp

bridge_ports enp1s0

bridge_stp off

bridge_fd 0

iface wlx503eaab7df76 inet manual

auto vmbr1

iface vmbr1 inet dhcp

wpa-essid my-ssid
        wpa-psk myPassword
        bridge_ports wlx503eaab7df76

bridge_stp off

bridge_fd 0

If I do like this, the wifi is working, but no bridge:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp

bridge_ports enp1s0

bridge_stp off

bridge_fd 0

auto wlx503eaab7df76
iface wlx503eaab7df76 inet dhcp
        wpa-essid my-ssid
        wpa-psk myPassword

The wired connection vmbr0 is working in both cases, but vmbr1 is not (vmbr1 is using the wifi port).

Please note that in the GUI, under networking, the wifi adapter / interface has type 'Unknown' instead of Network Device as the eth port has.

Last edited:
Same problem for me, this is my NIC

Code:
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak]
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
        Kernel modules: iwlwifi

and I confirm what Iosif said
in the GUI, under networking, the wifi adapter / interface has type 'Unknown' instead of Network Device as the eth port has.

I have the same problem, also the wifi adapter is "unknown" (Intel 8260) on a Dell Optiplex 3040.
I have been searching/trying for a few days now, still not working.....:(
I want to use the WiFi for connecting some MQTT devices.... in a seperated VLAN

Last edited:
Can you please post how you did it?
Thnx in advance!
hi, i've just saw your message i'm really sorry,

ok so after some tests I couldn't get everything to work properly.
I could access via web to the interface and could create VMs but I could not use the bridge with wifi inside the vm, so the VMs were without internet.

first i install some destop environnement to connect to wifi (you need in first to connect with ethernet to download DE, when its download you can disconnect ethernet).
And I created a bridge with the wifi (manualy).
And as I remember it work, as far I explained above.

i don't have the machinen anymore but i can try to install back and use wifi just to remember what i do.
(sorry for my mistakes I don't speak English)

edit: only after the birdge you can acces to the machine via GUI (192.168.X.X:8006 etc...)

Last edited:
hi, i've just saw your message i'm really sorry,

ok so after some tests I couldn't get everything to work properly.
I could access via web to the interface and could create VMs but I could not use the bridge with wifi inside the vm, so the VMs were without internet.

first i install some destop environnement to connect to wifi (you need in first to connect with ethernet to download DE, when its download you can disconnect ethernet).
And I created a bridge with the wifi (manualy).
And as I remember it work, as far I explained above.

i don't have the machinen anymore but i can try to install back and use wifi just to remember what i do.
(sorry for my mistakes I don't speak English)

edit: only after the birdge you can acces to the machine via GUI (192.168.X.X:8006 etc...)

Thanks for your reply!

I also figured out that you need to manually bridge the wifi, but i still can' t get it to work.
I will keep on trying !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!