Virtual LPT1 (Parallel) Port

Raymond Burns

Apr 2, 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
Is there any way that I can pass through a parallel port that doesn't exist? My host server does not have any parallel ports, but I need to use a parallel port and spool to my network printer in order to print from a very intricate and important DOS program.
I tried
Code:
qm set 123 -parallel /dev/null
Of course that didn't work because that would have been too easy.
Any assistance is appreciated... remember, I have no /dev/parport*

Must this be installed on the Host or the Guest?
Is there any way to set it to a port that I will never use, such as serial? Again, I will not passthrough any real information, but I need Windows to see a physical port in order to spool LPT1 to Network Printer

Since this is a virtual device it could be installed either on the host or in the VM. For simplicity I would choose the VM to avoid messing with pass-through. Also installing it in the VM means you will be able to live migrate the VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!