virtual disk multiplication

mladenciric

Mar 25, 2021
Hello,
Something strange was happened or i am missing some classes ;)
I have one VM on my proxmox host which suddenly have more than one virtual disks created.
VM is Windows Server 2k19 and only with one disc 200-disk0. which is the disk created when vm created.
I notice now that this vm when running use 200-disk5 instead disk0.
i check at storage place and found that this machine have created six disk from 0 to 5 notation.
please can someone explain to me why is this happened?
Is i am safe to remove unused disk from storage or not?

Attachments

• 1-1.png
    1-1.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-1.png
    2-1.png
    41 KB · Views: 14
hi,

please can someone explain to me why is this happened?
can you check the timestamps on the disk files? ls -lat /path/to/your/storage/.
maybe they belong to a VM from before with the same ID?

Is i am safe to remove unused disk from storage or not?
depending on your answer to my above question, you can decide by mounting the disks and checking if you need them. if you run qm rescan then it should add those disks to your configuration as "unused' disk (they won't be mounted in the guest). you can then either mount and check the contents, or remove the disk files using the "Remove" button above (only shows up when unused disk is selected).

hope this helps!

can you check the timestamps on the disk files? ls -lat /path/to/your/storage/.
maybe they belong to a VM from before with the same ID?
Hello and thanks
hdd-tank is on the zfs pool named hdd-pool.
when i list files on the disk i sow the same as in the gui.
Those files are not from the old VM which is running before because there are no VM running before with same ID 200
This machine is ws2k19 which acts as DNS DC AD - just a services there no user files or other important files.
I don't know how that happened? Maybe because this machine have been set to replicate and have HA to third host?
At third host i checked and found disk for VM 200, that disk is disk 5.
As i assume replication works fine and current disk at host ,1 disk 5 is replicated to host 3 disk 5. thus, i think that is safe to remove all other disks 0 to 4 (i do not do snapshots for this machine), but still i don't know how and why this happened.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!