Very slow backups

mn124700

Feb 22, 2020
Good morning all. I just rebuilt my Proxmox server after a hardware failure (bad SSD). I'm up and running again witn Proxmox 7.3-1. I'm running into an issue with the backup function. I started a backup of 5 VMs last night. As of now, 12 hours later, it has still not finished! No errors, but very slow. Initially, it was backing up at about 5-6 MB/sec, but this is now down to about 1-2 MB/s. The "IO Delay" for the node is at about 16%.

My setup is a single node, Proxmox 7.3. The system is installed on an SSD and the VMs are on a separate SSD. The backups are being done to an internal HDD (ext4).

How to I go about diagnosing the problem?

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks for the quick response.
No ZFS.
HDD: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue PC Internal Hard Drive HDD - 5400 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EZAZ
SSD: SAMSUNG Electronics 870 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E2T0B/AM)

I've got the HDD configured with Type: Directory and Content: VZDump backup file

Any ideas? Thanks again
Eric

backup VM one by one , to check if its VM related.
I recommend first backup during stopped vm, then next hot backup only need to read , then next-next hot backup will use dirty bitmaps of qemu to backup only changed blocks.

I don't think it's VM related. In looking at the backup log, all VM backups have been very slow. Never more than 4-5 MB/s. And they've all been in a stopped state, except for the first one.

SMR HDD's like your cannot handle a lot of writes for a long time and will become very slow due to the way whole tracks need to be read an rewritten by SMR for each write.

Reactions: _gabriel
Yuck. They should put a warning label! Maybe I'll swap it for another SSD. Is there any good reason to have an HDD?

HDD: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue PC Internal Hard Drive HDD - 5400 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EZAZ
That's a SMR HDD so terrible write performance, even for a HDD.
Is there any good reason to have an HDD?
More capacity for the same price. Won't heavily wear when writing a lot to it (will just slowly wear all time when powered on).

Yuck. They should put a warning label! Maybe I'll swap it for another SSD. Is there any good reason to have an HDD?
Please don't replace it with a QLC SSD, they are even slower in the same scenario.

EDIT: Or just stop writing to the drive and let is settle for a day to reorganize itself (it does need to stay on) and try again? CMR HDDs are still larger/cheaper than SSDs.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!