Very high disk IO on one VM when another active

stukerr

Feb 14, 2023
Hi all,

This has me really scratching my head. I have one VM running an instance of home assistant (hassio) which has been running fine alongside other VMs (mix of windows 10 and various linux distros) for a while now.

I recently set up another VM to run Blue Iris NVR software under Windows 11. Within a few hours disk reads on the HA instance went from not very much to 700 million. Stopping the Blue Iris VM stopped this straight away.

I updated my PVE to 7.3-6 hoping that might fix it, which it did for about 12 hours until the same thing happened again - with again stopping the BI VM stopping the issue.

There's no real network traffic between the two instances so I don't think it's network interaction between the two.

Just wondering if anyone has come across such a problem before or would have any ideas what could cause such a massive jump in disk reads?

Both are on an NVME Samsung 970 disk - with the BI VM using an attached drive passed through direct for the recordings.

I've tried with a couple of different Windows 11 VMs now and both have done the same thing - so I don't think it's anything particular to the Blue Iris vm.

Thanks,

Stuart

Attachments

• ha-vm.png
    ha-vm.png
    66 KB · Views: 22
  • win11-vm.png
    win11-vm.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!