Verification takes long time

sander93

Sep 30, 2014
Hello,

We have about 150 Vm's in our proxmox cluster, the back-up with PBS is now super fast!
The verification process we start daily @ 09:00 AM But it needs almost 12 hours to finish, CPU is only running at about 30%.

Can we improve something to speedup this proces? or running multiple threaded verification for example on a single store?

Kind regards,

Sander

Verification is used to detect bit rot, it doesn't really make sense to run it daily, weekly or even monthly is more then enough.

Thank you!

I understand that it not needed to run daily.

But if verification of for example 100GB takes 15 minutes (example, for real times i have to look).
If i only run verification once a month i have 30 x this backup job/data so it stil needs 30 x 15 minutes, right?

Thank you!

I understand that it not needed to run daily.

But if verification of for example 100GB takes 15 minutes (example, for real times i have to look).
If i only run verification once a month i have 30 x this backup job/data so it stil needs 30 x 15 minutes, right?

No pbs uses deduplication.

Backing up the same data wont increase the storage used on the backup host.

Thus only modified data will increase the used storage which is usually not that much.

In addition the time needed for verification wont increase any further once your retention period is exceeded.

Reactions: sander93

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!