Veeam Backup and Recovery supports Proxmox as of 28 Aug 2024

You are using public IPs here. That doesn't look quite right.
Without knowing your network, nobody can help you.
hi,

I tried local ip
I tried static ip
I tried dynamic IP.

I still haven't figured out the problem?
but I think the problem is like a language problem.

hi,

I tried local ip
I tried static ip
I tried dynamic IP.

I still haven't figured out the problem?
but I think the problem is like a language problem.
The worker must be able to communicate with the PVE and with the Veeam Backup Server.

ok so basically with 2 FA enabled you need to have root access, which makes it a little unsecure in my eyes.

That would be least of one's problem:

https://securityaffairs.com/168088/security/veeam-backup-replication-cve-2024-40711.html

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...am-exploit-against-critical-us-organizations/

I wonder if that's why the "ransomware radical resilience" is a thing with these backups:

https://www.veeam.com/solutions/data-security/ransomware-backup.html

Last edited:
3500 VM 15 Host Vmware backs up without any problems. Veeam has no problems, the problem is with Proxmox.
Of course, Veeam has fewer problems with VMware, but VMware has been supported since 2008 and they have been able to optimize the product.
The Proxmox integration was developed within a few months and is of course not yet as mature on the Veeam side.
I already know a few upcoming features, but it's all still in the development stage. In a few years, the Proxmox integration will probably be as mature as VMware.
I can't support the idea that the problems are due to Proxmox. There are mature products like the PBS, which run great, only the veeam integration works a little differently.

If you want to continue spending a lot of money on Broadcom for your 15 hosts and a lot of money on Veeam for the 3500 VMs, feel free.

If you want to continue spending a lot of money on Broadcom for your 15 hosts and a lot of money on Veeam for the 3500 VMs, feel free.

I have no business telling someone what to use, but I also don't really understand the rationale of licensing of Veeam in relation to the same third party that had picked PVE as their solution. Are they going to be spending less on hypervisor support license than on backups solution licensing, which happen to be an intricate blackbox and can re-license soon after they got all the help from "community" users to polish their product?

Of course, Veeam has fewer problems with VMware, but VMware has been supported since 2008 and they have been able to optimize the product.
The Proxmox integration was developed within a few months and is of course not yet as mature on the Veeam side.
I already know a few upcoming features, but it's all still in the development stage. In a few years, the Proxmox integration will probably be as mature as VMware.
I can't support the idea that the problems are due to Proxmox. There are mature products like the PBS, which run great, only the veeam integration works a little differently.

Do you want me to tell you about PBS dozens of problems?
How awful is PBS software? How cpanel servers make corrupt backups?
It has at least 20 years to be like PBS Veeam Backup

I have no business telling someone what to use, but I also don't really understand the rationale of licensing of Veeam in relation to the same third party that had picked PVE as their solution. Are they going to be spending less on hypervisor support license than on backups solution licensing, which happen to be an intricate blackbox and can re-license soon after they got all the help from "community" users to polish their product?
The intention of all backup manufacturers is to create a constant.
Keep your usual backup and simply change the hypervisor.
As a selling point this is completely understandable, and I still like to use Veeam for MS SQL, Oracle or other applications, which can be restored much more granularly with Veeam. The small 10Vm license is usually enough for this and the rest is done with the BPS, which runs much better while fully integrated into the hypervisor.

Do you want me to tell you about PBS dozens of problems?
How awful is PBS software? How cpanel servers make corrupt backups?
It has at least 20 years to be like PBS Veeam Backup
Then tell us. I have never had a single error with PBS, of course with correct sizing and reasonable hardware.
We're not talking about the many problems in small home setups where unsuitable hardware is set up badly.

The intention of all backup manufacturers is to create a constant.
Keep your usual backup and simply change the hypervisor.
As a selling point this is completely understandable, and I still like to use Veeam for MS SQL, Oracle or other applications, which can be restored much more granularly with Veeam. The small 10Vm license is usually enough for this and the rest is done with the BPS, which runs much better while fully integrated into the hypervisor.

I am just imagining the situation of having those 1000s VMs licensed for backups (the concept still blows my mind, it's like charging you electricity for how many people are reading papers at one light bulb) and then due to licensing change having to migrate ... all the granularity ... of the closed format. Talk of ransomware ...

Then tell us. I have never had a single error with PBS, of course with correct sizing and reasonable hardware.
We're not talking about the many problems in small home setups where unsuitable hardware is set up badly.
cpanel setup chmod 666 file open /home does not back up and then crashes.
2000 vm then crashes again.
file trim problems

/scripts/clear_orphaned_virtfs_mounts --clearall

This command does not take a backup without writing it.

cpanel setup chmod 666 file open /home does not back up and then crashes.
2000 vm then crashes again.
file trim problems

/scripts/clear_orphaned_virtfs_mounts --clearall

This command does not take a backup without writing it.
I don't know what you're trying to tell me. What does that have to do with a PBS?

I don't know what you're trying to tell me. What does that have to do with a PBS?
almalinux + cpanel installed proxmox vm server cpanel does not backup PBS is problematic.

Servers with virtfs cannot backup.

Now you don't know what virtfs is.

You can see the usernames under the /home/virtfs/ directory in cPanel. These usernames are users who are given shell permissions. When they log in to the shell, they enter this directory and operate as a virtual system. In this way, they do not reach the main system and do no harm. If the users under you do not have shell permissions, there can be only one reason for this user to be here, and that is to create a cron (scheduled task) from that user's cPanel. If a cron like "wget http:***" is created, this cron can harm the system and therefore runs in this special area.

Last edited:
However, this is not a problem for the normal user of a PBS.
Is this a problem with cpanel or the PBS? If the PBS is used regularly with PVE, there are no problems.

However, this is not a problem for the normal user of a PBS.
Is this a problem with cpanel or the PBS? If the PBS is used regularly with PVE, there are no problems.
Linux backup will not work if there are files such as shell etc.?

Veeam backup does not look at this and backs up directly.

It's obvious that you don't do hosting.

It's obvious that you don't do hosting.
No, hosting is only part of the Proxmox user base.
Hosters often build up their own know-how and in turn use completely different tools than in the industry.
I only support customers in industry, trade and healthcare. Around 80% of all companies there also use Veeam. That's why this is also a plus for Proxmox, as the workloads can also be easily migrated via the backup.
Whether you continue to use Veeam to the full extent afterwards is then completely open.

No, hosting is only part of the Proxmox user base.
Hosters often build up their own know-how and in turn use completely different tools than in the industry.
I only support customers in industry, trade and healthcare. Around 80% of all companies there also use Veeam. That's why this is also a plus for Proxmox, as the workloads can also be easily migrated via the backup.
Whether you continue to use Veeam to the full extent afterwards is then completely open.
We provide infrastructure services to 1.5 million websites.
Cpanel Plesk these hosting control panels are installed on virtual servers and they need to be backed up constantly.
PBS hosting panel installed virtual servers cannot back up. From now on we want to use veambackup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!