Veeam Backup and Recovery supports Proxmox as of 28 Aug 2024

https://www.veeam.com/blog/backup-replication-community-edition-features-description.html

Veeam Community Edition, only works with VMware, HyperV and AHV. To use Veeam with Proxmox, you need a License.
That's a post from 2019, so of course Proxmox will not be on there ;)

Judging by this reddit user (not tested it myself) it IS possible/available on the community edition (after a few rounds of updates/upgrades/reboots).
https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/co...=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Looking at the error-log though, it LOOKS like you are trying to add something named
virtıo0
which is a very strange name, as it contains an i without a dot in it (see below)
virtio0
I'm however not sure if that is a bug in the Veeam-code, or a bug in something you selected/typed (in either Veeam or Proxmox)
1725295471937.png

Guys what user are you using? we have 2 factor enabled on root user but with that acc. to veeam support it is not working to add the node. so i wonder what kind of user needs to be created for debian and proxmox services to be able to backup and restore.

ok so basically with 2 FA enabled you need to have root access, which makes it a little unsecure in my eyes. Has anyone heard if they will support LXC as well in future? Support from Veeam doenst give any answer on this.

ok so basically with 2 FA enabled you need to have root access, which makes it a little unsecure in my eyes. Has anyone heard if they will support LXC as well in future? Support from Veeam doenst give any answer on this.
The root access is indeed unpleasant and I hope that this will be improved quickly.
I can't imagine LXC support coming so quickly. Veeam focuses on enterprise customers with clusters, where VMs are usually only used to migrate workload live. In addition, veeam uses a helper VM where the virtual disks are attached. Of course, this does not work with LXC mountpoints.

Reactions: TaylorNP
Yeah the non live migration is a very good point indeed Falk. but i really like LXC as they are small easy to manage and can be done super granular. What would you suggest based on a VM that can be backed up by Veeam to have mulitple containers running? Any hint with HA but still granularity is welcome.

Yeah the non live migration is a very good point indeed Falk. but i really like LXC as they are small easy to manage and can be done super granular. What would you suggest based on a VM that can be backed up by Veeam to have mulitple containers running? Any hint with HA but still granularity is welcome.
What exactly do you want to achieve? If you have software that is provided as a Docker container, then you can use a VM that hosts several Docker containers. If it is an application with more load, then use a separate VM.
A VM will never come close to the economy of LXC, but you have to weigh up whether you want a clean kernel separation and HA with live migration or whether you want to save resources.

I only use VMs with my customers, as most of them previously used VMware and don't want to do without Live Migration for maintenance.

well i had a linux vm before with multiple docker containers in but each time for maintenance or unforeseen downgoing of the VM all services stopped. Thats why i liked the LXC as i made them all granular now with a HA webserver in front. but i guess i basically would need to look into kubernetes cluster based on Linux VMs or so to achieve some sort of HA..

well i had a linux vm before with multiple docker containers in but each time for maintenance or unforeseen downgoing of the VM all services stopped. Thats why i liked the LXC as i made them all granular now with a HA webserver in front. but i guess i basically would need to look into kubernetes cluster based on Linux VMs or so to achieve some sort of HA..
This is a very different but also very valid approach.
If your workload can be mapped in K3s or K8s, then of course you can go container native.
My customers all still have Windows Server, so the question doesn't even arise ;)

Reactions: f.sennj
is there any plan from Proxmox we know that LXC will get native migration withoiut downtime / reboot? or cant that be done by design/ nature of LXC?
An LXC uses the kernel of the host, so it is impossible to migrate the workload live. This is possible with VMs, as each VM has its own kernel.

@Falk R. I am also having a Workers problem, how should this be done?
Someone else here in the forum has the same error. He has now registered in the Veeam forum. I cannot reproduce the error and also cannot recreate it.

Reactions: djsami
Someone else here in the forum has the same error. He has now registered in the Veeam forum. I cannot reproduce the error and also cannot recreate it.
I don't understand, do I need to be given a rope?
Screenshot_935.png

Where is the mistake here?

Quite a lot of my business depends on Veeam. I will be accelerating my customers over and given the software is rather open source, a support contract is an easy sell.

Where can I find the open source code of Veeam?

There is a Linux agent for bare metal which works for the PVE host itself if you want to do that and it can run in "community" mode.

I found one that depends on putting a proprietary kernel module ... this is something to put on a Hypervisor secure environment?

If you are happy with the Proxmox native backup system and server then stick with it.

What is wrong with it?

Reactions: Falk R.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!