Veeam Backup and Recovery supports Proxmox as of 28 Aug 2024

Blueloop

Jun 7, 2024
Former VMware converts to Proxmox may be missing Veeam. No longer. Veeam 12.2 supports Proxmox as a first class citizen. There is a "community" edition of Veeam Backup and Recovery which is free as in beer and supports up to 10 VMs. It does still need a Windows box but the database can be Postgresql so no need for MSSQL.

A lot of enterprise VMware (Broadcom) users have been putting off migration to Proxmox waiting for this. I know this because I am one of them and I have been doing scouting duties around Proxmox for a few months now. Quite a lot of my business depends on Veeam. I will be accelerating my customers over and given the software is rather open source, a support contract is an easy sell. Hopefully we all win and I really wont miss caring for vCenter servers 8)

Full Linux support is on the roadmap for Veeam B&R. Postgres is the first bit. There is a Linux agent for bare metal which works for the PVE host itself if you want to do that and it can run in "community" mode.

If you are happy with the Proxmox native backup system and server then stick with it. It is rather nifty and does just work for minimal effort. You now have another choice, which is cool.

I tested the version yesterday.
The backups run slower than with the PBS, but the restore was significantly faster than with the PBS, but I have not yet been able to find out where the performance boost comes from.
There are no application aware backups, as with the PBS. There is no Instamt Restore yet, so the PBS can still score points with the Live Restore. And what bothers me is that I am required to manually add all the nodes of my cluster, even though Veeam recognizes the cluster as such.
If you already have Veeam licenses, you should stick with the product, it makes the switch to Proxmox much easier.

Reactions: GMBauer
I thought Veeam would not support Proxmox. There were already a lot of posts in its community asking for KVM support years ago. Will they end up supporting other KVM-based platforms too?

I thought Veeam would not support Proxmox. There were already a lot of posts in its community asking for KVM support years ago. Will they end up supporting other KVM-based platforms too?
These were all old posts in the forum before Broadcom bought VMware.
There had been a thread for some time about whether Proxmox or Xen should be supported and the choice fell in favor of Proxmox. It was already available as a beta months ago, mainly because Proxmox did not require much work on the existing technology.
You are required to deploy at least one proxy VM on the cluster (recommended per node) which is started for backups and restores. This technology has also been available from VMware for a long time. The rest runs via the Proxmox API.

With Xen, the effort would have been much greater and more people have committed to proxmox in the Veeam forum.

Reactions: Magnus-mercer
I'm getting mixed results with it in testing. It succeeds with on windows VM, and fails with another. It's a repeatable error each time.

The main difference between the two images is the HDD controller in the VM, but that really (at least one would think) would not have any affect on the backup.

Obviously it's just hitting the market, so I'm sure they will be working through these issues. It would make me quite nervous to trust it to restore an image. I've not attempted that part as the failures are turning me off of using it for now, at all.

On a youtbe video they mentioned they had an issue with restore...
https://youtu.be/rsmz_7fjNUQ?t=117

In it he references the controller, and oddly, or interestingly enough, one of my VM's has an IDE (the one that won't back up) and another SCSI, the one that will.. so they have some work to do is my guess.

Last edited:
I get the following errors while creating worker. Operating systems on which I installed and tried VBR 12.2: server 2022, server 2016, windows 10
I'm having the same problem with all of them.
proxmox version 8.2.4. I used the root account when adding pve to the virtual infrastructure section and the addition was successful.But somehow worker doesn't work. What could it be caused by?

1.09.2024 02:02:30 Error Failed to deploy the worker VM: virtıo0: property is not defined in schema and the schema does not allow additional properties
1.09.2024 02:02:30 Error Worker vbr-worker-pve test failed: virtıo0: property is not defined in schema and the schema does not allow additional properties.
Proxmox Systemlog

Attachments

• ProxmoxSystemLog.jpeg.jpg
    ProxmoxSystemLog.jpeg.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 41
  • VeeamWorkerTestError.jpg
    VeeamWorkerTestError.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 43
This is no Windows or Veeam Problem. Veeam try to install a Linux VM as worker. Have you the Log from VM creation?

I don't understand it says Veeam does not support application aware, I just tested and I can restore files, AD objects and Exchange mailboxes. Does not have a SQL to test with. So what is missing exactly?

I don't understand it says Veeam does not support application aware, I just tested and I can restore files, AD objects and Exchange mailboxes. Does not have a SQL to test with. So what is missing exactly?
You can restore, but the Backup is only Filesystem consistent. With Application Aware Backups, you can truncate Logs and you can do Log Backups every X Minutes.

You can go to Task History on your Host. Then you can see the Session Log.
When I run the worker test, there are no logs in this directory.

/var/log/pve/tasks
There is nothing in the logs on the interface while testing worker

Attachments

• VeeamWorkerTestError.jpg
    VeeamWorkerTestError.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 18
  • gui task.jpg
    gui task.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 21
I added proxmox ve, then I added worker, task history is empty again.
Only the attached logs appear in the system log section.

Attachments

• Task.jpg
    Task.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 10
  • SstemLog.jpg
    SstemLog.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I added proxmox ve, then I added worker, task history is empty again.
Only the attached logs appear in the system log section.
Which user did you use to add the host?
Is there a firewall between the Veeam and the PVE?
Veeam only uses ssh for the connection and transfers the data either via scp or sftp.

I used root user
There is no firewall between them. I can connect to Proxmox via Putty SSH from the machine with Veeam installed without any problems.

Attachments

• ssh.jpg
    ssh.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 12

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!