VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure)

johnjdoe

Mar 1, 2010
Hi,

I would like to know if there are plans to integrate VDI functionalities to Proxmox?

What I mean is for example:

* VM Pools
* Golden images / templates
* Persistent and dynamic VMs (with pre starting)
* Broker features

Some other commercial (ex VDI in the box) and open source projects (ex FOSS cloud) use KVM as base and Proxmox is in a lot of points similar to them, even better in some approaches. So perhaps it should be possible?

Proxmox is excellent to virtualize servers and single (static) Windows workstations but there are some features (see above) missing to provide workstations based on a template.

Thank you for thinking about it and your answer!

i think Tom was referring to <<spice protocol (remote display system for virtualized desktops)>> at least. That would be welcome, in a VDI perspective, but i think PVE will not be a "competitive" VDI solution, at least as it is now and in the near future.

Because PVE is for servers, and has many features which have nothing to do with VDI, which in turn needs many features which are not needed for servers, IMHO.

Maybe there could be, in the future, a "server" flavour and a "desktop" flavour but i feel it would be too much of a work to mantain... and there are other projects.

PVE stands high amongst other floss projects mainly because of openvz+kvm _and_ the overall quality of the product/team/community, but they keep up this excellent work having to mantain a really specialized kernel, which is tough. In VDI Openvz is not needed, and a single kernel as PVE has now has to be openvz+kvm compatible and may have to sacrifice some advanced kvm feature for openvz reasons, or else.

Whatever floss VDI project can simply rely on the standard kvm (or xen) kernel and tools, and specialize "only" on the management features, or else. It's not necessarily simpler, but is has at least very different targets.

All this IMHO, obviolusly, I would like to hear what PVE team thinks about this.

Marco

Reactions: pvps1
Really the main pieces that turn a virtualization platform into a VDI platform are:
1. Connection broker - mechanism for authenticating, connecting, and load balancing endpoints (clients)
2. automatic build up and teardown of images for virtual desktops

A special version of web front end, a framework for automated resource handling (which I think is on the roadmap), and scriptable cloning would pretty much do it.

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm quite new to this game, but could we not achieve this whole VDI-centric infra with tools like Puppet and Ansible?

Is that already happening?

Really the main pieces that turn a virtualization platform into a VDI platform are:
1. Connection broker - mechanism for authenticating, connecting, and load balancing endpoints (clients)
2. automatic build up and teardown of images for virtual desktops

A special version of web front end, a framework for automated resource handling (which I think is on the roadmap), and scriptable cloning would pretty much do it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!