Using Proxmox as NAS for different VMs + Windows Clients

KingSlaier

Feb 11, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I am new to Proxmox coming from FreeNas. I used FreeNAS as a NAS and shared it with the plugins I had running in FreeNAS, and also was able to access the NAS from my Windows PC to manage the store when sitting at my desktop. This is running on a homebuilt server with 4 internal HDD.

I am trying to recreate this using Proxmox, but without using FreeNAS. I have been searching online to find a way to create a NAS with the host Proxmox OS and share that with the VMs that I will be running and also access the NAS from my windows PC when at my desktop.

Would the best way to accomplish this be to have a VM running as a NAS, and not the host Proxmox? I am just looking for best practices or what is recommended by the community before digging myself into a hole and starting all over.

I am looking to use a VM running Ubuntu to run qbittottent and would like to store the data I download onto the NAS

I am looking to use another Ubuntu VM to run my Plex server

I am looking to set up a filesystem something like below and be able to map these to my Windows PC and Ubuntu VMs

\\Proxmox NAS IP\Storeage\Files
\\Proxmox NAS IP\Storeage\Media
\\Proxmox NAS IP\Storeage\Backups

I did already start doing some research online and found out how to create a zfs storage in Proxmox and added it as a Directory in Proxmox. So it seems like the only next step would be to mount or share this directory with my VMs and Windows PC. So I guess my real question here is how to share this folder in a way that it can be accessed by all VMs and my Windows PC?

Thanks for any advice in advance!!!

I have a couple of windows computers accessing it as well as sonos without issue. (Sonos did need a little extra config because they only support an older version of samba protocol) I haven't really tried accessing it from another linux container but I don't expect there would be any problem.

Thank you.

I worked on getting a NAS setup as a container and it works just as I wished it would.

Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!