Using PBS as 4th Ceph node in 3-node Proxmox cluster

klaashoekstra94

Aug 2, 2024
Good afternoon.

In my homelab I want to make a 3-node Proxmox cluster with Ceph. I also want to add a 4th separate host with PBS for backups. Each node in the Proxmox cluster will have an SSD for a 3/2 replicated Ceph pool for VM/CT disks. I also want to add a spinning HDD to each node for media storage for example for my Nextcloud VM. But I would prefer to have the HDDs in an EC pool so I can use more of the raw storage. However, you need at least 4 drives for an EC pool. I could add a second HDD to each node, but then the failure mode cannot be host, right? So I was wondering can I instead add the 4th host that runs PBS as a Ceph node to the same Ceph network as the other 3 Proxmox nodes and add the 4th HDD in there? This node will then not be a manager/monitor. Of course the PBS will use other HDDs for the backups to keep them separated.

And if this is feasible, would it then be a good idea to install Proxmox on the 4th node and to run PBS either alongside it on the host or as a VM, to make it easier to add this node to the Ceph cluster? Thank you in advance!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!