Using OpenVPN to connect Local PBS to offsite Remote PBS

dbayer

Renowned Member
Apr 15, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I've done a lot of searching on the forum for this answer. But nothing quite matches what I THINK I want to do. Here's my basic setup now

Local Proxmox Host with PBS running on Proxmox (NOT as a VM)
|
Local PfSense Firewall (NOT On Proxmox)
|
Internet
|
Remote PfSense Firewall (NOT on Proxmox)
|
Remote Proxmox Host with PBS runnning on Proxmox (NOT as a VM)

My current idea is to setup the Remote PfSense as a OpenVPN Server, add an OpenVPN Client to the local Proxmox Host, and then connect the two PBS servers for remote syncing.

A few questions and concerns.

1. How do I force the Local PBS server to use the OpenVPN connection?
2. How do I make sure Nothing Else uses that connection?
3. Can I tie the OpenVPN Client to a specific Network Interface, either a hardware NIC or a bridge that Proxmox created?
4. Finally, are there any bad consequences to this setup?

TIA,
Daniel

Hi daniel
I guess all of your question belong to openvpn and none are directly related to PBS. So here may not be the best place to find answer.

1/ you can't, it may just use the rigth route or the rigth path is everything is well designed.
2/ use iptables to restrict traffic to ...
3/ you can use openvpn as an ethernet bridge (see openvpn doc)
4/ all bad consequences are, to my point of view, related to bandwidth allocated to your VPN, not to openvpn neither to PBS.

regards.

Hi daniel
I guess all of your question belong to openvpn and none are directly related to PBS. So here may not be the best place to find answer.

1/ you can't, it may just use the rigth route or the rigth path is everything is well designed.
2/ use iptables to restrict traffic to ...
3/ you can use openvpn as an ethernet bridge (see openvpn doc)
4/ all bad consequences are, to my point of view, related to bandwidth allocated to your VPN, not to openvpn neither to PBS.

regards.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually went a different route, limiting access to a specific IP address through the firewall.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!