[SOLVED] Using a NIC with dual ethernet connection

Mar 4, 2019
Hey,
I started using proxmox yeasterday. Before, I was using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with bond on the 2 interfaces. Yeasterday when I installed I let the network by default, today I deleted the virtual connection and added a bond with (192.168.1.9) and then created a virtual connection for VM´s with this bond and then I restarted. Now the VM´s are up and running ok, but I can´t acess the interface of proxmox. It appears on router list but I get a "timed out".
Thanks,
Miguel de Carvalho

what is displayed when you connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor to the node directly?

What do you see on the screen, are you able to log into the node from there?

try removing vmbr0 and seeing if you can access the web interface. it looks like you have created a bond with the same interfaces as you are trying to use with the virtual bridge.

here is my file. you can see that each interface is only bonded or assigned once.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface enp3s0 inet manual
iface ens3 inet manual
iface ens5 inet manual
iface ens4 inet manual
iface enp5s0 inet manual
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
address 192.168.1.51
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
slaves enp3s0 enp5s0
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode 802.3ad
bond_xmit_hash_policy layer2
#Management & Storage
auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
slaves ens3 ens4 ens5
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode 802.3ad
bond_xmit_hash_policy layer2
#Virtual Machines Bond
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge_ports bond1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
#Virtual Machine Bridge

I would remove the vmbr0 settings, that should let you into the interface again and then allow you to set things up again correctly. Once you are in the web interface again I would remove the bond and setup one nic as your management interface and the other as your VM interface.

I will try and create a virtual proxmox install to get a setup file or screenshots for you

Good news, I removed the vmbr0, then I did a "systemctl restart networking.service" and it is up now, and both vms still working. But I think if I reboot vms wont have ethernet

I would remove the vmbr0 settings, that should let you into the interface again and then allow you to set things up again correctly. Once you are in the web interface again I would remove the bond and setup one nic as your management interface and the other as your VM interface.
How can I do that without messing all the stuff :p?

you need in my opinion remove the bond and then dedicate one interface for management and the other for your virtual machines. i should have a screenshot of how I would set it up shortly

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!