USB external drive - VM ok, Container & PVE cannot "see" it

fakker

Apr 2, 2022
Hi - I'm at the end of my search... for two days I've been messing with settings and linux commands. I'm no expert on Linux and it's showing.

I have a USB hard drive plugged in to my PC. That is running Proxmox 7.1-7. I have a VM which runs ubuntu and I have Plex installed. I use the USB passthrough for the attached drive and I mounted that. All works perfectly.

I recently discovered the install scripts over at ttek github. Those are so amazing. I've now got pihole, unificontroller, mqtt and plex set up in containers.

My sticking point now is how to get the plex container to access the USB drive. Nothing I've tried works!

I thought I could mount it within the CLI of the PVE, but using lsblk - nothing shows up. If I type lsusb I can see the drive. Proxmox must be able to see it as I can select it for the passthrough to the Plex VM.

I should add that I have also gone to edit the container conf file, but as there was no mount witin the PVE, there was nothing to create the mount point to. I guess the issue is to just get proxmox to see the bloody USB!!

Am I doing something critically and stupidly wrong here? thanks!!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!