Usable drive space to small and shows different sizes in each menu

Max6070

Apr 2, 2021
Hello,

I got 3 Drives, each 279GiB installed as a raidz1. So the usable drive space should be ~558GiB (2x278GiB), but I am only able to use around 393 GiB.

1617379083120.png

If I look at Storage -> My Storage -> Summary, then I can see that I am using almost 100% of the storage space, but there it says 536 GiB max space. When I switch to VM Disks then I can see my vm Disk which is only 393 GiB big.

1617379372416.png

1617379398917.png

Why is the pve host showing me, that my storage device is almost full even though there ist only one vm Disk with a size of 393 GiB?

Please have a look at this sections in the documenation. The TL;DR is that any raidz will store parity data (depending on the raidz level) and with VM disks (ZFS volumes, block devices) the ratio of data to parity is usually quite bad.

Reactions: Max6070

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!