Upgrading PVE Tries to Remove proxmox-ve package

Code:
wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/bookworm/pvetest/binary-amd64/proxmox-backup-client_3.2.5-1_amd64.deb
dpkg -i proxmox-backup-client_3.2.5-1_amd64.deb

That just unblocked my upgrade path, no guarantees it actually works though.

That said, my upgrade just completed, rebooted, and I'm logged back in through SSH, so I'm optimistic.
Worked as a charm, thanks mate!

It works for me:
Code:
apt install --reinstall pve-manager pve-docs pve-cluster pve-qemu-kvm pve-container
systemctl status pveproxy

FYIs I've just discovered that after following the 'wget proxmox-backup-client and dpkg -i' solution to resume a full-upgrade/dist-upgrade, /run/network is no longer created during boot up due to other upgraded packages, causing ifreload -a to fail, in turn causing OVS networking to be broken on reboot. Hopefully something specific to my OVS config and not affecting anyone else. I can't see any relevant package in the update list so it might be coincidence, but something to keep an eye out for.

Edit: somehow something disabled the 'networking' systemd unit during the upgrade. Enabling it again resolved this issue
Thank you for pointing this out and the potential link to OVS.

I checked on my nodes (which 4 different upgrade workarounds were applied) and none have the networking.service disabled.

Please note I do not use OVS on these.

Reactions: WesC
Right I also think it's the best to wait until that's fixed and then install the updates. Does this issue affect both no-subscription and enterprise repos?

A GIANT THANK YOU to the Proxmox developers for the warning! It's scary to even think about the consequences...

Reactions: fake
Code:
wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/bookworm/pvetest/binary-amd64/proxmox-backup-client_3.2.5-1_amd64.deb
dpkg -i proxmox-backup-client_3.2.5-1_amd64.deb

That just unblocked my upgrade path, no guarantees it actually works though.

That said, my upgrade just completed, rebooted, and I'm logged back in through SSH, so I'm optimistic.
Do I run this in my backup server shell of on my PVE?

edit: Typo

please just hold off upgrading for the time being - the check aborts the upgrade early enough so that there is no urgent action that needs to be taken while we are fixing this.

You can do this on a PVE test node as a workaround but AFAIK there is no urge to do so, especialy not in prod/important environment, and the PVE team is working on a fix ASAP.

EDIT: just shy of 30 seconds from fabian's reply :D + readability

Last edited:
I got the same from trying to upgrade from 8.1.4 and also a fresh install of 8.2.2.
So I'm just posting here so I can be notified when this situation is ironed out.

Got this error too.

Fixed by adding http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bookworm pvetest"

updated, no more errors, then I deleted it from list.
This is not the way to "fix" that error. Dont upgrade is the better choice. The "pvetest"-Repository is not ment for any live-workload but only development reasons. So 99.9% of the users in here are better off to

NOT UPGRADE AT THE MOMENT

Last edited:
Reactions: whytf and gfngfn256
no, only the no-subscription repository is affected. a package was moved a bit too early yesterday and it seems the retraction was incomplete, we'll see about getting this fixed ASAP.
Thank you! Appreciate it as this is non paid repo.

pve-no-subscription repository should be fixed again.

if you followed the advice here and have installed proxmox-backup-client 3.2.5-1 to work around the warning, please be aware that that version has opt-in experimental features that might not yet be ready for prime time. unless you explicitly invoke vzdump or proxmox-backup-client with parameters to enable those features, it should still be safe.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!