upgrading from 4.4-24 with ceph to 5.xx

Sep 4, 2019
Hi,
I am aware of this: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_4.x_to_5.0
- We have three (3) identical nodes: 256Gb of RAM, 4Tb of HD, ... same on each node
- Each node is running proxmox 4.4-24 with CEPH enabled
- We do not have any shared storage, all VMs are on nodes' hard drives

Could someone who have already done similar operation help me?
can I just:

migrate VMs on a node to another --> upgrade that node ---> migrate back the VMs to that node ---> do the same to the next node ?

Thank you all! :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "We do not have any shared storage, all VMs are on nodes' hard drives", because in the sentence before you explain that you use Ceph which is a shared storage?
If you follow the mentioned guide this should be no problem, just keep in mind that you can only migrate from 4 -> 5 the other way around is not tested and therefore not supported.

Reactions: walter.egosson
I'm not sure what you mean by "We do not have any shared storage, all VMs are on nodes' hard drives", because in the sentence before you explain that you use Ceph which is a shared storage?
If you follow the mentioned guide this should be no problem, just keep in mind that you can only migrate from 4 -> 5 the other way around is not tested and therefore not supported.

Tim, thank you for your reply,
- I just meant we do not use any dedicated NFS for VMs storage
- The upgrade document states "no VM or CT running", does it mean we would need to shut all the VMs down on all nodes at once?

regards,

It means that no VM or CT should be running while you are upgrading that node, I will adapt the wiki article to be more precise on that.

"- I just meant we do not use any dedicated NFS for VMs storage" -> Ceph is a shared storage

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!