Upgrading cluster of 10+ hosts - Can the cluster be mixed versions of 2.2 & 2.3

glena

Sep 10, 2012
Hi,

I currently have a cluster of about 10 PoxMox hosts all running v2.2. I want to upgrade them all to v2.3 but can't do them all at the same time. Can a mix of PM hosts (v2.2 and v2.3) live in the same cluster for a few weeks?

Thanks!

-Glen

Hi,

I currently have a cluster of about 10 PoxMox hosts all running v2.2. I want to upgrade them all to v2.3 but can't do them all at the same time. Can a mix of PM hosts (v2.2 and v2.3) live in the same cluster for a few weeks?

Thanks!

-Glen
Hi,
it's not recommendet and you have little effects (VMs are displayes as powerd off, but are on).

Udo

You say, "not recommended"?

What do I do when I have 100+ host nodes in a cluster? Its difficult to schedule down time for a complete cluster of just 10 hosts in order to upgrade them all at the same time. It will be impossible when there are 20, 50, 200...

I think some thought needs to be put to this issue.

-Glen

I doubt that you have 100+ hosts in a cluster, as we support only 16 host per cluster.?

And if you run such a big setup you should consider either working directly with our (commercial) support team or run your own testlab to make sure that you understand the differences and behavior of a mixed setup.

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Your right I don't have cluster of 100 nodes. We are still evaluating ProxMox which I think is a great product.

I was not aware of the 16 node limit. Not an issue for our current testing.

Are you looking into expanding it to support larger clusters?

Thanks again,

-Glen

I was not aware of the 16 node limit. Not an issue for our current testing.

Are you looking into expanding it to support larger clusters?

If you have separate network for cluster communication you can run up to 32 nodes, maybe more if you adjust totem timing.
If nodes are powerful you can run up to 50VM per node, results in a maximum of 32*50VMs per cluster (1600VMs).

If you have more nodes it is better to split into several clusters.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!