Upgraded to Proxmox 6.0 ISO Container lost password.

May 9, 2019
Good day team,

I upgraded my nodes to 6.0 with ZFS and replication between node 1 and node 2.

I restored Containers from a backup I made before the upgrade as I did a complete rebuild of the 2 servers from scratch. Everything went good and the performance I get from ZFS and 6.0 is good. But I noticed that I cannot log into my containers from console. It does not accept the password. So I downed a CT and chagned from tty to shell and did a passwd user (Linux) and changed the password. It worked. So i did that for all my containers. This morning. I tried to console to a VM and the password did no longer work. Since the client is live I cannot down the VM to set it to shell and change the password again.

So my question is, why is the CT loosing the password? And what steps can I take to rectify this. It is quite annoying to need ot reset the password from shell to ssh into the CT only to have the password reset the following day.

Regards

the only reason i see how this could happen is if someone inside the ct/vm changes the password...

that is weird... there is nothing on pve that would do this... maybe some software in the container does this?
also try to add another user in the ct and see if it happens there too

It could be that when I uploaded the backup to node 2 before I started replication it might have replicated the unknown password. I did find a thread about a similar situation where the password of CT was lost after upgrade but i cannot find the link now.

I just downed a CT and reset root password via shell and changed back to tty and could login with new password. I will test later (after replication job ran) to see if anything change.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!