[SOLVED] upgraded to 9.7 and now remote sync jobs now fails with owner check failed

flexyz

Sep 22, 2016
Hi

My remote PBS server have all synched jobs added as owner "backup@pam" and have been synching for days. Now I think the upgrade to 9.7 makes it fail

owner check failed (root@pam != backup@pam)

How do I change the ownership on my remote PBS or should I change it on the source PBS?

Thanks

we dropped the fake 'backup@pam' owner for sync jobs. you can now set an explicit owner in the sync job configuration, and change the owner of all already synced groups to that. the new default if none is set is 'root@pam'.

Reactions: dbayer
Yes I tried that, but new sync failed because previous sync/owner is backup@pam - can I change that, so I don't have to sync the whole thing again?

Yes I tried that, but new sync failed because previous sync/owner is backup@pam - can I change that, so I don't have to sync the whole thing again?

yes. use the 'change owner' action in the datastore content view (it's the small 'person' icon in-between the 'V.' for Verify and 'scissors' for pruning), or proxmox-backup-client change-owner. if you feel up to the task, you can also change the contents of the groups' 'owner' file with sed/a script/... .

FYI. btw. If I change the schedule on a job, there is an GUI error and have to "select" owner user from dropdown before it works

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 08.52.44.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 08.52.44.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 11
FYI. btw. If I change the schedule on a job, there is an GUI error and have to "select" owner user from dropdown before it works

yes, the GUI now enforces having an owner set.
edit: misread, see @t.lamprecht reply below

Last edited:
That error in your screenshot was fixed in git, not yet publicly available as package though.

Looking at the /backupPool/pbs/store it still has owner and group set to backup after changing the owner in the GUI. Should I go and manually change those on the file system?

Thanks,
Daniel

Looking at the /backupPool/pbs/store it still has owner and group set to backup after changing the owner in the GUI. Should I go and manually change those on the file system?
The file system owner is OK to be backup, and should not be changed (that will break things). It needs to be that user, as the lower privileged process managing the backup runs as that user.

The backup group owner, which is the owner as seen from the Proxmox Backup Server access control layer, is not related to the underlying (internal) file owner, and is saved as string in a file named "owner" in each backup group.

yes. use the 'change owner' action in the datastore content view (it's the small 'person' icon in-between the 'V.' for Verify and 'scissors' for pruning), or proxmox-backup-client change-owner. if you feel up to the task, you can also change the contents of the groups' 'owner' file with sed/a script/... .
Danke für die Antwort, hat mir auch geholfen.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!