Upgraded to 5.4-13 and Windows VMs wont boot

Jaron

Aug 21, 2019
Im fairly new to proxmox and before i had updated to the latest version from apt-get, all my vms were working fine, but after the update all windows vms will not boot.
The error that shows is this

kvm: kernel doesn't allow setting HyperV VP_INDEX
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 110 -name ServerVM -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/110.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -chardev 'socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5' -mon 'chardev=qmp-event,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/110.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=66e055be-7b72-49c6-a2fb-15832ce11b14' -smp '10,sockets=1,cores=10,maxcpus=10' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/110.vnc,x509,password -no-hpet -cpu 'kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,hv_synic,hv_stimer,enforce' -m 13312 -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'VGA,id=vga,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:c9b237b8fbf' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/110/vm-110-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide0,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0,bootindex=100' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=threads' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap110i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown' -device 'e1000,mac=F6:BA:A4:BC:23:1B,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime' -machine 'type=pc' -global 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard'' failed: exit code 1

I found some other threads that said to add this to my VM's config
args: -cpu host,hypervisor=off

Doing so does Sortof work but midway through the windows VM boot up the entire VM just freezes entirely until i kill the VM

I also tried to just create a new VM but it refuses to start at all too

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey,
which on what hardware is this running on?
Do you have the latest updates installed?

Of course only if this is still a problem :)

Hey,
which on what hardware is this running on?
Do you have the latest updates installed?

Of course only if this is still a problem :)

Oh yea sorry, i did get this resolved. I had everything fully updated but for some reason the server didnt change kernels to the newest proxmox kernel. I had to get KVM access to the server to check which kernel it was booting into to find out it was using an old one and had to switch it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!