Code:
root@xxxx:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  libpve-common-perl proxmox-ve pve-container pve-manager qemu-server
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up pve-manager (4.4-2) ...
Job for pvedaemon.service failed. See 'systemctl status pvedaemon.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
dpkg: error processing package pve-manager (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pve-manager
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The output of systemctl status pvedaemon.service shows:
Code:
root@xxxx:~# systemctl status pvedaemon.service
● pvedaemon.service - PVE API Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pvedaemon.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2016-12-26 14:57:59 CET; 2 months 19 days ago
  Process: 20549 ExecReload=/usr/bin/pvedaemon restart (code=exited, status=2)
 Main PID: 1660 (pvedaemon)
   CGroup: /system.slice/pvedaemon.service
           ├─1660 pvedaemon
           ├─1661 pvedaemon worker
           ├─1662 pvedaemon worker
           └─1663 pvedaemon worker

Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 pvedaemon[20549]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Cluster.pm line 13.
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 pvedaemon[20549]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Cluster.pm line 13.
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 pvedaemon[20549]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2.pm line 13.
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 pvedaemon[20549]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2.pm line 13.
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 pvedaemon[20549]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Service/pvedaemon.pm line 8.
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 pvedaemon[20549]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Service/pvedaemon.pm line 8.
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 pvedaemon[20549]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/pvedaemon line 11.
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 pvedaemon[20549]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/pvedaemon line 11.
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 systemd[1]: pvedaemon.service: control process exited, code=exited status=2
Mar 16 13:36:31 hyper1 systemd[1]: Reload failed for PVE API Daemon.

pveversion -v show error:
Code:
root@xxxx:~# pveversion -v
Can't locate PVE/RESTEnvironment.pm in @INC (you may need to install the PVE::RESTEnvironment module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/RPCEnvironment.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/RPCEnvironment.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/APT.pm line 20.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/APT.pm line 20.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/pveversion line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/pveversion line 7.

It looks similar to this thread: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/poxmox-broken-at-upgrade-to-4-2-58.28420/ but version of libmime-base32-perl is 1.02a-1

Can you help me somehow? I don't want to reinstall the whole server..

this is expected as you run the wrong command - (apt-get upgrade) - you did not follow the upgrade documentation.

the forum has already almost hundred post with the same, please search the forum for similar questions before posting the same again.

upgrade howto
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downlo...Proxmox_Virtual_Environment_4.x_to_latest_4.4

An interesting thought is that if you guys add an "Update" button which essentially does apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade, with a notice to restart, would that solve a lot of problems for people who don't know and your own staff who continually has to answer this same question?

Well, if I recall correctly apt-get upgrade should install just fixes and shouldn't break anything. dist-upgrade can change versions and dependencies.

I just wanted to install all security fixes and nothing new - so maybe you should think about following the standard implied by apt creators and then there wouldn't be so many confused users... Especially for those who install Proxmox as an addition to Debian (my case) and expect some kind of behavior. I read that documentation some time ago and I would read it again before some major upgrade - not just when I expect to install security fixes.

Well, thanks anyway - next time I will use the forum search function and not just Google :)

so maybe you should think about following the standard implied by apt creators and then there wouldn't be so many confused users...

In future, users should use 'apt' instead of 'apt-get'. That will solve all those problems.

Well, if I recall correctly apt-get upgrade should install just fixes and shouldn't break anything. dist-upgrade can change versions and dependencies.
just for clarification, this is not completely correct

apt-get upgrade only upgrades already installed packages, never removes or installs any new packages
on debian stable, this is the behaviour you described (except for some exceptions, e.g. chromium which also gets new versions)

apt-get dist-upgrade also installs new packages and removes packages to satisfy dependencies,
this is the behaviour we want, since we sometimes need new packages, or reorganize our own package structure

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!