[SOLVED] Poxmox broken at upgrade to 4.2-58

csi2000

Jul 23, 2016
Hello,
I tried to upgrade my server to the current version.

During the apt-get procedure I saw the following message, which puzzles me

Code:
Setting up pve-manager (4.2-16) ...
Job for pvedaemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pvedaemon.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
dpkg: error processing package pve-manager (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-ve:
proxmox-ve depends on pve-manager; however:
  Package pve-manager is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package proxmox-ve (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
pve-manager
proxmox-ve
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The output of systemctl status pvedaemon.service shows:

Code:
● pvedaemon.service - PVE API Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pvedaemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2016-07-23 02:12:10 CEST; 11min ago
  Process: 7770 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pvedaemon start (code=exited, status=255)

Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 pvedaemon[7770]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2.pm line 13.
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 pvedaemon[7770]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2.pm line 13.
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 pvedaemon[7770]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Service/pvedaemon.pm line 8.
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 pvedaemon[7770]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Service/pvedaemon.pm line 8.
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 pvedaemon[7770]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/pvedaemon line 11.
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 pvedaemon[7770]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/pvedaemon line 11.
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 systemd[1]: pvedaemon.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=255
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 systemd[1]: Failed to start PVE API Daemon.
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 systemd[1]: pvedaemon.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jul 23 02:12:10 actprox01 systemd[1]: pvedaemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Now I can't use proxmox, I can't even send you a pveversion -v, because a get a likewise error message:
Code:
root@actprox01 ~ # pveversion -v
"RFC" is not exported by the MIME::Base32 module
Can't continue after import errors at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/AccessControl.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/AccessControl.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/RPCEnvironment.pm line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/RPCEnvironment.pm line 16.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/APT.pm line 20.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/APT.pm line 20.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/pveversion line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/pveversion line 7.

Had anyone similar problems, what are my options now?
Thank in advance!

Seems you an incompatible version of libmime-base32-perl - what is the output of:

# dpkg -l libmime-base32-perl

You should have version 1.02a-1

Yes!!
That was the problem, I had version 1.301-1 (from testing) installed.
After downgrading libmime-base32-perl everything worked again. -- Saved me from reinstalling the server. -- Thanks!

(I enabled the testing repo, upgrade a few packages ( mainly Nginx ), but I never saw any compatibility warnings or broken dependencies.)
Please update the proxmox packages, so that they are compatible with libmime-base32-perl 1.3xx or change the dependency-info in the package, so that it is apparent that it is not compatible with libmime-base32-perl > 1.02a-1

Thanks again, for the quick and very helpful support!

please don't mix stable and testing repositories - that is an unsupported configuration (https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian)
if you absolutely need newer versions of packages obtained from the Debian repositories, check if there are newer ones in jessie-backports (those should be tested to be compatible with Jessie) or convince the maintainers to provide such a backport.

Quick followup: while such a setup is not recommended, finding issues like these does help us ensure a more seamless upgrade path to higher debian versions in the future. With this in mind a patch to fix this compatibility issue is now on the devel list and should be available in packages soon. The new code works with both versions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!