Upgrade Motherboard - Reinstall?

gdi2k

Aug 13, 2016
I have a 3-way Proxmox VE cluster. Due to lack of PCIe slots on the servers' motherboards, I need to replace them. I will be changing the motherboards, but retaining all existing storage, CPU, RAM, network cards etc.

Is it better for me to completely reinstall Proxmox VE and re-add it to the cluster as a new server, or will I be able to keep the existing installation?

Hi,
you can simply use the same installation.
You need only take care about the network - depends on your installation (the old upgraded ones use udev rules for renaming) and the new board, the network interfaces use perhaps different names.
After use the right nics in your interface-file the node should work.

Udo

Just wanted to report back that this went smoothly - after the new motherboard was installed, the onboard NIC name changed, so the network config had to be updated to reflect that (/etc/network/interfaces). Other than that, things were smooth.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!