[SOLVED] Updating a debian server to proxmox error

Simuman

Aug 27, 2022
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the dumb query and long explanation, but it's really got me stumped. Bit of background as I'm a total newb to linux and have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I recently at the age of 59 decided it would be fun to ( hasten the loss of hair by pulling it out) tried creating my own home server. As I had an old dev PC laying around I decided to try a few server packages like Truenas Scale and Proxmox which seemed to all go ok on first attempts due to the intuitive installation process. So with success with my endeavours so far, I decided to buy an old HP Prolient 350 G6 server, woe-is-me.

The server was completely blank with a couple of scsi 300GB drives so did tried the usual USB install of Proxmox which promptly failed due to hardware display issues, after many attempts to trying to resolve this I worked out that it would be better to try a bare-metal Debian install first and then upgrade to Proxmox that way as I saw there was a step by guide for this on your site.

Hence the brain torture and hair pulling began as I advised am completely new to Linux and after nutting my way through setting up the Debian Server attempted the process of updating it to Proxmox only to run up against the error I've spent 2 days trying to resolve by head scratching, forum and Youtube searches only to be left here banging my head.

The issue appears that I'm running into an error of version miss-match by the look from the error log below as I'm running Debian 11.4. While stepping through the command lines

echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list

followed by,

wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/proxmox-ve-release-6.x.gpg -O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/proxmox-ve-release-6.x.gpg
chmod +r /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/proxmox-ve-release-6.x.gpg # optional, if you have a non-default umask

and then updating and upgrading followed by the install command

apt install proxmox-ve postfix open-iscsi

Where I get the error listed here,

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
criu : Depends: python-future but it is not installable
Depends: python-ipaddr but it is not installable
Depends: python-protobuf but it is not installable
libpve-u2f-server-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.28.1 but it is not installable
librados2-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.28.1 but it is not installable
proxmox-ve : Depends: pve-qemu-kvm but it is not installable
pve-cluster : Depends: corosync (>= 2.3.4-1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libqb0 (>= 0.17.1-1) but it is not installable
Depends: perlapi-5.28.1 but it is not installable
Depends: libcmap4 (>= 1.99.9) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcpg4 (>= 2.3.4-1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libquorum5 (>= 2.3.4-1) but it is not going to be installed
qemu-server : Depends: pve-qemu-kvm (>= 3.0.1-62) but it is not installable
Depends: libjson-c3 (>= 0.10) but it is not installable
spiceterm : Depends: pve-qemu-kvm but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I realise that I'm on the Bullseye version and tried changing the commands from buster to bullseye using the same steps also tried installing dependencies individually and trying to fix with broken dependencies command, even tried completely re-installing Debian, but low and behold to no avail.

Hopefully some kind soul can take pity on me and advise of a fix that even a newb like me can follow to resolve this. If further info is needed please advise of step by step instructions on how to provide as again very new to Linux.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.

I realise that I'm on the Bullseye version and tried changing the commands from buster to bullseye using the same steps also tried installing dependencies individually and trying to fix with broken dependencies command

PVE 7 = Debian 11/Bullseye
PVE 6 = Debian 10/Buster
Like you already found out, some mixing was going on, so let's forget it :D and focus on:
even tried completely re-installing Debian, but low and behold to no avail.

What was/is the problem with the new installation?
Did you follow the correct recent guide this time?:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

Reactions: Neobin
Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!