update to 7.2, to use VirGL

Xgamerz

Oct 17, 2021
have dual gpu and modified grub file for gpu passthrough, and added only 2nd gpu ids into modprobe.d/vfio.conf file, now virgl not working i'm getting this msg -> TASK ERROR: no DRM render node detected (/dev/dri/renderD*), no GPU? - needed for 'virtio-gl' display

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 textonly video=astdrmfb video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off"

Check that driver of your virgl GPU is correctly loaded on host (e.g. not blacklisted as proposed in many GPU passthrough manuals).

Last edited:
Reactions: Xgamerz
I think I got it "working". However I am not so sure about the performance.
There is a ton of screen tearing in videos, much more than in just plain spice.
I used default amdgpu drivers, with my RX6700XT.

Check that driver of your virgl GPU is correctly loaded on host (e.g. not blacklisted as proposed in many GPU passthrough manuals).

You were right - some modules had been blacklisted. Thanks for the hint

Did you use Linux as guest. Am I correct that windows guest aren't supported by the moment?

How did you get it working ? I have an RX580 and get the no DRM render node detected too. But don't know what to do because the firmware-amd-graphics package seems to be already installed by proxmox-ve.

I got the same error and solved it to edit "/etc/default/grub"

If you have edit the file for gpu passthrough, try to remove some modules, I tried this and got it work for RX560 and VirGL GPU:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt"

can VirGL be used with the nvidia provided binary driver?. I lost VirGL support after installing NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-525.85.07-vgpu-kvm-custom.run:

Error:

TASK ERROR: no DRM render node detected (/dev/dri/renderD*), no GPU? - needed for 'virtio-gl' display

Modules:

root@bigiron:~# ls -l /dev/dri/ total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Feb 6 19:24 by-path crw-rw---- 1 root video 226, 0 Feb 6 19:24 card0 root@bigiron:~# lsmod |grep nvidi nvidia_vgpu_vfio 69632 0 nvidia 56365056 11 mdev 28672 1 nvidia_vgpu_vfio vfio 45056 4 vfio_pci_core,nvidia_vgpu_vfio,vfio_iommu_type1,mdev drm 614400 4 drm_kms_helper,nvidia,mgag200 root@bigiron:~# lsmod |grep nou root@bigiron:~#

Last edited:
A new driver version has been released NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-525.85.27 NV_GRID_15.1
Who can dump the driver archive?

Hi everybody. Does anyone have the opportunity to download these two archives from the nvidia website:
NVIDIA-GRID-Linux-KVM-510.108.03-513.91.zip
NVIDIA-GRID-Linux-KVM-510.108.03-514.08.zip

My registrations are unsuccessful.
Please share the files.

A new driver version has been released NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-525.85.27 NV_GRID_15.1
Who can dump the driver archive?
Hi everybody. Does anyone have the opportunity to download these two archives from the nvidia website:
NVIDIA-GRID-Linux-KVM-510.108.03-513.91.zip
NVIDIA-GRID-Linux-KVM-510.108.03-514.08.zip

My registrations are unsuccessful.
Please share the files.

Why do you not contact the NVIDIA-support then?!

Also:
I applied for a 90-day trial license but haven’t received a response. What should I do?

You should receive a response within 24 hours of your request. If you don’t receive a response within this time frame, please check your email’s spam and junk folders. In addition, please note that registration will be denied if you didn’t use a corporate/business email address.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/resources/vgpu-evaluation

I have strong doubts, that what you are here asking for is legal...

[0] https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/vgpu-software-driver

And what's the problem with dropping the archive?
As Neobin already said, violating NVIDIA's vGPU/GRID license would be illegal.
And while I did not check upon their license work (but you surely read the terms & conditions you agreed to on registering ;)) I highly doubt NVIDIA would be fine with publicly sharing this, as they sell upgrade to newer releases so (allowing to) redistributing such newer versions openly would go against their business goals.

Besides all that, this thread is about VirGL, not NVIDIA GRID - so a different topic anyway.

As Neobin already said, violating NVIDIA's vGPU/GRID license would be illegal.
And while I did not check upon their license work (but you surely read the terms & conditions you agreed to on registering ;)) I highly doubt NVIDIA would be fine with publicly sharing this, as they sell upgrade to newer releases so (allowing to) redistributing such newer versions openly would go against their business goals.

Besides all that, this thread is about VirGL, not NVIDIA GRID - so a different topic anyway.
I don't need your license, but only the kvm vgpu driver. I know how to bypass the license without hacking anything and everything works the same way

I don't need your license, but only the kvm vgpu driver. I know how to bypass the license without hacking anything and everything works the same way
Obviously nobody will just give you their license, that was never the problem. Again, if redistributing the driver is disallowed by their license, breaking the terms and risk that NVIDIA is voiding theirs by sharing it publicly seems just not a good idea.

Anyhow, this is the Proxmox Community forum, and definitively the wrong place to ask people for closed off NVIDIA drivers - so please stop spamming unrelated threads for people to violate their NVIDIA licenses here!

If you still think that's fine then just ask on NVIDIA support channels or some of NVIDIA focused community forums.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!