Unprivileged Bind Mounts and multiple access

sshaikh

Apr 23, 2017
Say I have 5 containers each running an application. For each I have bind mounted a directory:

/mnt/container_data/container1
/mnt/container_data/container2
etc

Where the application will contain all its application data.

I now create a further container running a backup application. To that I mount the following:

/mnt/container_data
/mnt/backups

The idea being that it backs up the whole container_data to backups.

I'm struggling to plan the id maps required, if at all. I need the backup container to be able to read (only) everything in /mnt/container_data.

Furthermore one of the application containers will possibly be a file share application, so will require multiple users too (and not just one to run the app).

Should I create all the necessary users in proxmox and map? Or should I run each container with the application users and fileshare users and somehow grant permissions externally? Or would the backup container automatically have access to anything that bound to it as it's running as its own root anyway?

I've tried playing around with some tests but I'm still a little confused as to how to approach this type of user management across unprivileged containers. Any guidance welcome!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!