unique server uid

We automatically generate an SMBIOS type 1 uuid setting when you create a VM. Not sure what
kind of unique server uid they talk about?

yes i know. maybe i have to fill out all the settings in the SMBIOS tab
strange because they specialliy mention that proxmox/kvm does not work. but what vmware has that kvm hasnt?
see the text from their homepage:
-------------------------

Cause:

The problem is very likely caused by an unsupported virtualization platform. Officially supported is only VMware as virtualization platform. Other virtualization solutions like Virtualbox, Proxmox and KVM are unable to provide a unique Server ID that is used for licensing purposes.

Resolution:

AutoStore is not supported on these virtualized clients. Please make sure to install AutoStore on a supported host, either virtualized by VMware or a hardware based host.

I assume that is just a decision of the vendor, I do not see any technical problem to get this running on KVM/Proxmox.

It would be helpful to know what mechanism they use to get such an ID, and whether they are specifically trying to detect virtualization...
ry appending `,hidden=1` to the `cpu` setting in the VM's `/etc/pve/qemu-server/$vmid.conf`?

Hi, upping this thread because i had the same problem with Nuance Autostore.
I know that it runs under virtualbox ( although not officially supported ) so i compared through dmidecode under linux and hwinfo under windows the hardware output. The difference was that virtualbox sets more default options in smbios. I thought that the license system use some combination of hardware serial and i started checking the missing one. In Virtualbox i noted that motherbaord serial number was 0.
Setting to 0 motherboard serial number in proxmox ( via gui and editing args in confgi file ) did solve the problem, the missing LICENSE ID was generated and then activated trough official channel.

in config file now i have

args: -smbios type=2,manufacturer="XXX",product="XXX",serial=0
smbios1: uuid={your-uuid},manufacturer=XXX,product=XXX,serial=0

Reactions: shantanu
We had the same problem yesterday. We tried to set the smbios settings as mentioned before and it worked immediately.

Simply edit following in your /etc/pve/qemu-server/{vmid}.conf :
smbios1:uuid={keep-current-id},manufacturer={Any Value},product={Any Value},serial=0

We set it for example to smbios1:uuid={current-id},manufacturer=PROXMOX,product=MOTHERBOARD,serial=0
It also worked with 'XXX' from the previous post. We haven't tested if the serial can be anything else. product=BIOS also sounds nice ;D

Reactions: Amin Vakil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!