Understanding Proxmox Networking

gaff

Dec 30, 2022
Hi,

I've setup my network like so:

WAN <---> Home router <---> Proxmox <----> VMs
  • The home router manages my LAN and runs the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.
  • I have two proxmox bridge networks:
    • 192.168.1.111/24, bound to the ethernet interface
    • 192.168.3.1/24, unbound
  • Proxmox VMs are manually configured within the 192.168.3.0/24 space
  • I've added a route to my home router so tha 192.168.3.0 gets routed via 192.168.1.111
This seems to work well, but I have some questions:

1. I guess this works because proxmox allows IP forwarding. Where exactly is this configured?
  2. Proxmox UI is accessable on both 192.168.1.111 and 192.168.3.1. How can I restrict this to just the LAN?
  3. I have to manually setup the IP and gateway for each VM. Is there a guide to running DHCP on the 192.168.3.0 network?
  4. I've set this up using bridge networks. What's the difference between bridge networks vs VLANs? (What does "VLAN Aware" mean?) Is there a guide anyhere?

Thanks so much for any clues!

1. https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_network_configuration good place to start.
2. Either by proxmox node firewall rules dropping traffic to port 8006 on 192.168.3.1 or maybe just removing the 192.168.3.1 address from that Linux bridge all-together as 2 options
3. Proxmox does not do DHCP natively, you can set up a vm/LXC as a DHCP server or connect an external DHCP server (this can just be your current router if it supports multiple subnets and DHCP ranges)
4. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#sysadmin_network_vlan

what type of router?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!