Unable to use Samba server on Proxmox server

nicolasfo

Mar 8, 2013
Hello everyone !

I've just installed Proxmox (v 2.3-12/ad9c5c05).
I tried to install Samba on the same Proxmox server, everything was OK.

When I try to access to a share I created (under W7 Pro client), explorer asks me always the username and the password of the share I'm trying to connect to.

My share definitions are basic :
Code:
[test]
    writeable = yes
    valid users = test
    path = /home/test

The user "test" is present in the PAM database, and in the Samba database. The folder "/home/test/ exists and have been chmoded to 777...

Is there any firewall or anything else wich can block connections ?

I've watched logs, but nothing in them to indicate me the problem :
Code:
[2013/03/08 15:06:45.537864,  0] smbd/server.c:500(smbd_open_one_socket)
  smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address already in use

Google didn't helped me too...

Do you have any idea ? Miss I something ?

Thanks

This is not a Proxmox VE issue, so you are on the wrong forum here. there are more suited places to get help regarding samba (google for it).

Generally, you should install any additional servers on the Proxmox VE host. If you need Samba, install it in a VM or CT.

Hello,

I don't know how I could post on the wrong forum, this problem appears only on a PM distribution.

I've just installed a Debian 6.0.6 x64 on the same machine, with the same hardware, and the problem doesn't appears.

I can't install Samba in a VM machine, I'll use the samba server to send to the PM server my VMWare virtual machines... A transfert by WinSCP takes me more than 5 hour... (5Mo/s...)

You didn't answer me about the firewall ?

Thanks

There is no firewall on a standard Proxmox VE system.

Just to note, I run several Samba servers on Proxmox VE.

So, OK, but, does anyone have an idea to my problem ?

I just re-installed a Debian OS, just to be sure, 45s. to run a working Samba server...

No, I'm not at the wrong place to expose my problem...

Does anyone have already run a samba server on the Proxmox Sever ? (not in a VM, on the Proxmox server itself) and what did you do to make it works ?

Back to you, I'm not spiteful ;)
I created my shares with Webmin, wich doesn't show every error messages..

The problem was "smbpasswd" isn't installed when samba is installed in Proxmox distrib (don't know why, it's a major part of samba, btw...)
The solution was to install this package : samba-common-bin

Webmin was doing this command, but without success, and I wasn't informed of this.

See you guys, and thank you anyway..

Nicolas

Back to you, I'm not spiteful ;)
I created my shares with Webmin, wich doesn't show every error messages..

The problem was "smbpasswd" isn't installed when samba is installed in Proxmox distrib (don't know why, it's a major part of samba, btw...)

The solution was to install this package : samba-common-bin

thanks for feedback. samba-common-bin is not installed by the samba package.
see also http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/samba

Webmin was doing this command, but without success, and I wasn't informed of this.

See you guys, and thank you anyway..

Nicolas

if you need to install something, do it with apt-get, e.g.:

Code:
apt-get install samba-common-bin

Don't understand, in Debian system, I never had to worry about smbpasswd, so I guess it's installed with "apt-get install samba".

Anyway, it's no longer a problem, all is working fine. I can now really test Proxmox ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!