[SOLVED] Unable to type special characters/symbols in NoVNC web console

vps20

Sep 18, 2020
I have a VPS (QEMU 2.11.1, Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS, Kernel 4.15.0-117-generic x86_64), which I access from my VPS host's NoVNC web console with Firefox 68 (Ubuntu 20.04).

The VPS host runs Proxmox with NoVNC 1.1.0-1. Because it is a VPS, I can't change anything on the host (QEMU settings, Proxmox version, NoVNC settings).

After a recent update, it isn't possible to type special characters anymore. It seems that the shift key isn't detected (left or right shift), although uppercase letters work.

Intended characters: ~!@#$%^&*()_+{}:"|<>?
Result: 1234567890-=[];'\,./

Both my computer (using the web console) and the VPS are set to US keyboard. I don't know about the host.

Results from localectl:

System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
VC Keymap: default
X11 Layout: us
X11 Model: pc105

Control and alt keys also don't work, but it is possible to use them with the "Show Extra Keys" menu in the sidebar.

Is there any way to fix this from inside my VPS or my computer/browser? If you need more information, please let me know.

There is a data-center wide config setting for the keymap, but it shouldn't affect typing in the way you describe (e.g. shift key not working). I'd rather look for changed browser settings or default. I know for example in Firefox the 'privacy.resistFingerprinting' key causes this behaviour. Maybe try with a different browser as well.

Reactions: xword9000 and vps20

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!