Unable to power on any VM after reboot - activation of logical volume pve/data is prohibited while logical volume pve/data_tmeta is active.

farfy

Apr 3, 2024
I ran an update on the Prox host and rebooted for good measure (using the non subscription repositories)

After the reboot, none of my VM's will power on, they all show the error. While I can fix this by using lvchange and turning off the tmeta/tdata, the issue happens after every reboot of the prox host. How can I prevent it from happening/fix whatever is causing the issue so I don't have to babysit the host after every reboot??

Hi,

Any idea why the issue is still happening? My prox host is fully updated, and according to that thread it should have been solved like 3 versions ago. Is there any kind of permanent fix? Just seems odd a big issue from 3 years ago is causing issues now?
Where do you see an indication that this has been solved?
Possible (pseudo-)fixes would be:
  • Bump the udev-timeout for everybody - what value to use? Would potentially cause unwanted waits for other people and in theory no value is high enough.
  • Skip the mappings check for everybody - bad, because the check is fast enough for most people and they'd all lose the benefit of it.
  • Switch to systemd for autoactivation - would require Proxmox to deviate from Debian in the init system, which can easily cause other issues or Debian to do so too (there was no reaction to the bug report in Debian yet).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!