Unable to join my second Node to my cluster

TheDon1

Jul 11, 2020
Hello, I am relatively new to proxmox. I have had one node for 8 months now... I understand what I need to to make VMs and Containers make new directories, do backups etc. It's not my goal to be a proxmox expert or use the bleeding edge tech, I know there is a lot of cool stuff that I'm not utilizing but I am currently getting my needs met...

recently I built a more capable server and I wanted to make a cluster. I installed PM with the same installation tool as the original ( so they are the same version ). I created the cluster in the web GUI, and then went to my new servers GUI and attempted to join. I got this error
Screenshot from 2021-03-21 14-54-53.png

I tried a few times doing the same steps from the command line... Same error.

SO I backed up my important vms from original server and did a fresh install. So now I have two fresh installs, I mad the cluster on and joined again. SAME ERROR! am I missing some important step? I added the host name of node1 into node2's /etc/hosts file and vice versa..

HELP PLEASE!

Did you try via GUI? There you can easily define the cluster networks and Proxmox already suggests the appropriate values.
Just a guess: are both hosts named pve?

Did you try via GUI? There you can easily define the cluster networks and Proxmox already suggests the appropriate values.
Yes I tried with the web gui, and both nodes are named pve, is that wrong?

Yes I tried with the web gui, and both nodes are named pve, is that wrong?
Thank you I renamed one pve1 and it worked. shouldve came here before I turfed my original PM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!