Unable to install from USB

andy72

Dec 29, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to install Proxmox 5.3-1 from a USB key. I have been following the instructions here without success.

My platform is an old HP desktop, which I want to use as a test lab;
  • Core2 Duo CPU
  • 8Gb RAM
  • 250Gb HDD
  • 1Tb SSD
I have created the USB in several different ways;
  1. Using Etcher from Win10.
    The USB does not boot.
  2. Using DD from Fedora 28.
    The USB does not boot.
  3. Using Rufus on Win10
    The USB boots to the Proxmox install menu, but the install hangs with an error "no cdrom found"
The wiki page I reference at the top of this post recommends against using Rufus, but I've had success with the product in the past so I gave it a try.

Is there an obvious mistake I'm making?

Thanks.

I have also found this thread, which details the same issue and recommends using Rufus in DD mode.
Tried that and failed as well - this time the USB will not boot at all.

A point of interest; I burnt a DVD with the Proxmox 5.3-1 image and booted off of it.
I then got several instances of the searching for cdrom message before the install continued - I thought it was going to fail, before it continued with the install routine.

Other than that, the install completed without issue.

Hi,

I had the same issue with several usb sticks . I used isocreater and reset the stick before writing the image to it. But the issue was more the bios to boot from the usb stick, wich was related to the security options uefi boot or legacy.

Best regards
Maik

Thanks Maik.

I should have said above, but I checked for that. The machine is so old it does not have UEFI, just BIOS.

The age of the machine may have contributed to the issues I was having too...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!