Unable to install from CD VE5.0

Brian Read

Jan 4, 2017
I have a setup which will not install from CD - it selects the CD (I see the lights flash) and then just hangs with nothing on the monitor. I also tried it with a CD that I had previously used for V4 - and that failed too. However I have sucessfully installed from CD Ubuntu and (run) clonezilla both 32 and 64 bit versions. I've also fully install Debian 9.1.2 on the setup with no problem.

Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong AND/OR can I load up proxmox on top of my Debian 9 install?

I've checked the checksum - the image is fine. I'll try an install from a USB flash drive.

ok, i've tried creating a USB flash drive version of the proxmox iso and using it to install - still no go. I sometimes get "GRUB" in the top left hand corner of the monitor, but nothing. I then tried copying the debian install iso to the USB flash drive and seeing if that would work - and it did!

It does look as if it is something related to the proxmox image.

Did you also try with PV ISO 4.4? I was thinking you can try 4.4, and if it works, upgrade to 5.

I tried a CD install with 4.4 and it also failed to start. I have another system that I have installed 4.4 ok (by CD), and my plan was to move my VMs to this system under 5.5. I am thinking that it may be some sort of BIOS parameter which is stopping it working. I have updated the BIOS to the latest, it is an ASUS M4A7BLT-LE motherboard.

I've also done a default reset of the bios. But that didn't work either!!

Since that's a desktop MB, perhaps check if virtualization is enabled. In BIOS, go to CPU configuration, then change "Secure Virtual Machine Mode", and set to enabled. On that MB, SVM is actually AMD Virtualization support.
Also if the MB has GPU built-in, try removing any third party video card installed.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - however the SVM was NOT set, but I set it and it still failed to install. There is no external Video card / GPU on this system.

I've also fully install Debian 9.1.2 on the setup with no problem.

If a plain Debian Stretch works for you can try installing PVE on top of debian, a workaround for now: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

it uses a 4.13 kernel that could work.

He can install Debian Stretch which uses a 4.9 Kernel (PVE 5.0 uses 4.10) so this should not matter, at least if you ha not really much bad luck and our 4.10 introduced a regression for your specific setup...

I have a setup which will not install from CD - it selects the CD (I see the lights flash) and then just hangs with nothing on the monitor. I also tried it with a CD that I had previously used for V4 - and that failed too.

Do you have set the video mode to legacy while using UEFI, or vice versa, in the BIOS Settings? This may be a something which can break, setups.
If not, do you even see a GRUB display, or really nothing?

Do you have set the video mode to legacy while using UEFI, or vice versa, in the BIOS Settings? This may be a something which can break, setups.
If not, do you even see a GRUB display, or really nothing?

I don't think I am using UEFI the MB and Bios are sufficiently old that it is not an issue (or perhaps it is?). I've looked through the BIOS and there is no mention of UEFI or Video mode in the BIOS.

Normally when I try the install I do not see anything on the screen, but once or twice I do remember seeing "GRUB" in the top left.

I don't think I am using UEFI the MB and Bios are sufficiently old that it is not an issue (or perhaps it is?).

What hardware do you use?

Normally when I try the install I do not see anything on the screen, but once or twice I do remember seeing "GRUB" in the top left.

Hmm, sounds strange.. Currently I', still suggesting that you install PVE on top of Debian, as it's a bit hard to tell what a possible problem may be without an reproducer/ your hardware...

Ok, Reporting that I now have a working Proxmox VE 5 system. I installed on top of Debian stretch. Only slight hitch was that the Debian left the CD as one of the Repositories and I had to comment it out in /etc/apt/sources.list and also it had not pre-loaded the kernel zfs module. Actually I need to fix that still so that it gets loaded at boot time. I expect Google can find that for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!