Unable to create snapshots of a VM on a ZFS drive

camerong

Apr 12, 2023
Hi all,

I've been trying to follow online tutorials of taking snapshots of VMs and to do this it requires the disk to be a file level storage (except lvm-thin(according to documentation). So whenever I use ZFS as the disk and then create a VM, it still doesn't allow me to change the format of the disk to then allow snapshots.

The only storage type which has allowed me so far is 'Directory' but that is not helpful to me at all.

I'm not sure if it's my lack of understanding documentation and/or tutorials or if something has changed between those tutorials being posted and now.

To note I am v7.3-3 and on a completely fresh instance, so am not concerned about losing anything etc.

Also if anyone wants to know the problem I have to end up here, I need to run 2 VMs which are on 24/7. These VMs are running tests and then need to be connected to bitbucket to pull data down etc. So I'd be using snapshots to take a snapshot before running tests, then once finished and results have been noted it would revert back to the snapshot.

Snapshots on ZFS should work fine.

Can you post
  • your VM config (qm config <vmid> or for containers pct config <vmid>)
  • the storage config (cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg)
  • and maybe the output of zfs list
Please paste them inside [CODE][CODE] tags to be readable. :)

Snapshots on ZFS should work fine.

Can you post
  • your VM config (qm config <vmid> or for containers pct config <vmid>)
  • the storage config (cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg)
  • and maybe the output of zfs list
Please paste them inside [CODE][CODE] tags to be readable. :)
Aaron, I'm so sorry for wasting time. I spent so much of my time fixated on ensuring I'd be able to format the disk to qcow2 in the VM setup, I didn't see that the button was ungreyed. I've got past that issue now I just need to figure out some other stuff which requires more researching!

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!