[SOLVED] Unable to boot ZFS (raid10) as root file system

he4d

Apr 25, 2022
Dear all!
I just tried to install my Proxmox VE 7.1 with ZFS as my root file system.
I am using an Lenovo ThinkSystem SR530 Server with a Lenovo 530-8i (LSI 9440-8i) flashed to IT-Mode (LSI 9400-8i) and 4 x Intel S4610 960GB SSD Drives attached to it. The installation was done using UEFI Mode. In my boot drive selection (during startup pressing F12) there are 4 "Linux Boot Manager" entries but none of these will boot Proxmox, i just get returned to the boot device selection.

Before I had Proxmox installed on a seperate M2 SSD using LVM/ext4 and the ZFS pool seperated. Worked like a charm.

I hope someone could help me here, as I want to get rid of the internal M2 SSD and use ZFS throughout.

Edit
It seems that is an issue with the LSI 9440-8i. I can't boot even when installing on a single SSD (EXT4) that is connected to that...

Solved
I forgot to download the UEFI-BIOS after flashing the card to LSI 9400-8i XD
Now everything is working as expected!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!