[SOLVED] Unable to access internet from VM

Toastyyy3

May 28, 2024
Hey,

in short: my VM can‘t ping the router or external IPs even though the VM is listed in my routers devices. For technical details see below.

Long version:
i recently installed raspi debian and then the Proxmox Port for Arm64 on my Pi. Everything running perfectly fine so far.

However, I‘m trying to get a Home Assistant VM working for a few days already.

I use the helper script PiMox from helper-scripts.com and sometimes Home Assistant doesn‘t properly boot but gets stuck with „Waiting for Home Assistant CLI to start“ and sometimes it boots properly. I have one properly booting system up and this system does not have an internet connection. I tried for several days but I just can‘t get it to work.

So here all the details I can think of right now:

• Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM connected via eth to router
  • Default settings when installing Home Assistant PiMox
  • Host has 192.168.0.2, Router has 192.168.0.1, Home Assistant shall have 192.168.0.3 once setup
  • vmbr0 configured according to the wiki (gateway is 192.168.0.1) and IP is 192.168.0.2/24 and it is using eth0
  • From the host I can ping HA and vice versa. From the host I can also ping the router or 8.8.8.8. From HA i can‘t ping the router or an external IP.
  • On HA the connection with enp0s11 states it‘s connected. I set the IP of the connection to 192.168.0.3/24 and the gateway to the router. I couldn‘t observe any difference in changing the dns of the connection
  • ip a states something like enp0s11 192.168.0.3/24 and 192.168.0.255 and that the device is UP
  • ip route states something like:
    Code:
    default via 192.168.0.1 dev enp0s11 192.168.0.0/24 dev enp0s11 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.3
  • The routers DNS servers are 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8
  • No firewall activated in proxmox
  • Especially strange: The home assistant entity is shown in my router with 192.168.0.3 so there seems to be some kind of connection…
  • The /etc/network/interfaces on the host looks as follows
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.2/24
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

There was about half an hour right after the setup where it was connected to the internet but then I assigned more disk space to HA and when I rebootet HA, the internet was gone, even though I didn‘t change anything else. I believe this was the moment it broke.

Originally I accepted my fate and tried to reinstall HA but then the „Waiting for Home Assistant CLI to start“ error occurred and as I wasn‘t able to find a solution for that either, I felt like the internet problem might be easier to resolve.

I read several forum posts and searched the entire internet but nothing helped.

Let me know if you need any further information.

I can provide screenshots once I get home.

Thank you in advance for your help! Very much appreciate it!

Last edited:
For anyone stumbling across the same problem:
Apparently you cannot have docker installed on the host. I found a GitHub issue where someone had a similar problem and the developer suggested to uninstall docker.
I setup the system completely from scratch once again and did not install docker and then it worked.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!