[SOLVED] Ubuntu VM installation problems

dmox

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,
yesterday, I wanted to try out the latest Ubuntu LTS version 18.04.2 and installed it as a normal VM on my PVE-Server (v.5.3.9). Unfortunately, it wount start after installation has completed. After removing the ISO from the drive the startup is stuck in the fsch dialog as displayed in the following screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/xBQSbyo (displaying images with BBCode doesn't work...).

I tested the ISO itself on another Hypervisor (Virtualbox) and it works in general. Afterwards, I tested the prior version 18.04.1 of Ubuntu LTS on my PVE-Server. This one completely installs and works as it should.
Also I checked the filesystem of my 18.04.2 machine via a live system and the result shows not problems. Lastly, when I update the 18.04.1 to 18.04.2 it works without being stuck at startup (so this is my workaround atm;)).

Has anybody a clue whats the problem here?

Thank your very much for your valuable help.

Kind regards, David

Last edited:
Hi,
yesterday, I wanted to try out the latest Ubuntu LTS version 18.04.2 and installed it as a normal VM on my PVE-Server (v.5.3.9). Unfortunately, it wount start after installation has completed. After removing the ISO from the drive the startup is stuck in the fsch dialog as displayed in the following screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/xBQSbyo (displaying images with BBCode doesn't work...).

It's a problem with graphic driver - configure "VMware compatible" Display.

I just appear to have hit this issue as well, trying to install a new VM under Proxmox 6.0 (beta 1) with Ubuntu 19.04.

Is this a temporary fix, or is this the permanent workaround? It is an issue on Ubuntu's side, or on our side?

Can the Default display be made with Ubuntu?

UPDATE - Wait, I spoke too soon - the Ubuntu 19.04 installer goes to a black screen shortly afterwards.

I just appear to have hit this issue as well, trying to install a new VM under Proxmox 6.0 (beta 1) with Ubuntu 19.04.

Is this a temporary fix, or is this the permanent workaround? It is an issue on Ubuntu's side, or on our side?

Can the Default display be made with Ubuntu?

UPDATE - Wait, I spoke too soon - the Ubuntu 19.04 installer goes to a black screen shortly afterwards.

AFAIR this a kernel bug inside Ubuntu. As soon as you update the kernel (after installation), the issue is fixed.

I just tried a daily build - this ISO includes a current 5.0 kernel - works as expected again.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

AFAIR this a kernel bug inside Ubuntu. As soon as you update the kernel (after installation), the issue is fixed.

I just tried a daily build - this ISO includes a current 5.0 kernel - works as expected again.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Update: I just retested current ISO Ubuntu 19.04, works now here without issue with the default settings again.

Reactions: dmox
Hmm, weird - it still doesn't work for me. This is with the Ubuntu 19.04 Server ISO, on Proxmox 6.0 (Beta 1).

I tried this ISO:

Code:
ubuntu-19.04-live-server-amd64.iso (MD5 sum "9a659c92b961ef46f5c0fdc04b9269a6").

Note that I can use Alt + Left, or Alt + Right to switch to a different TTY - but tty1 is still hung, with a white flashing underscore character.

Which Ubuntu ISO did you use? And do you know what Proxmox version please?

@Richard, also thank you!

I just ran into this same issue with PVE 6.1 and Ubuntu desktop 18.04.3. Changing the video driver to VMWare compatible allowed the brand new install to boot. However, after and update && upgrade the boot process would still fail (just a little further down-stream). So I've had to keep the work-around setting for now.

... I should also add that I didn't run into any such issue with the same ISO on Ubuntu Sever + KVM. I guess the defaults used by VirtManager are more robust.

Last edited:
Just ran into the same problem also with Ubuntu desktop 18.04.3. Pretty unbelievable that proxmox doesn't smoothly work via the defaults with one of the most popular distros out there.

FWIW I found VMware compatible display was very laggy, the VirtIO-GPU one seems smooth even at high resolutions.

Pretty unbelievable that proxmox doesn't smoothly work via the defaults

No reason to despair, just set the graphic card memory to 32 mb or higher - and the default graphic card will work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!